Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need design ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    If you are not after serious SPLs, you could try the LE10As. The nice thing about the LE10As is that they go low enough to use with a true sub. I would use them in 10" three-ways with the horn of your choice with added 2405s. You will be padding down the 2426 and 2405 quite a lot, but that is OK. You should have quite a lot of design freedom with this package.
    Actually, you could make such a system, with TWO LE10As per side, in parallel. This would gain you close to 6 dB more "sensitivity", as far as matching in the network with the 2426 and 2405.

If I was doing this, I'd run the two LE10As in a SEALED box, of between 2.5 and 3 cubic feet total (1.25 to 1.5 cubic feet per LE10A), filled loosely with fiberglass. This would give an f3 of between 55 and 60 Hz, with FULL ACOUSTIC POWER HANDLING down to right about 60 Hz. This would be an ideal crossover point, to hand off to the 2242 subwoofers.

I'd say, with a 3 cubic foot airspace inside, an enclosure height of between 36 and 48 inches would be pretty easily do-able. The width of the enclosure would be completely determined by the width of the horn flare; it could be a reasonably "svelte" enclosure, with the choice of the right flare.

The nice thing about having the LE10A's in a sealed box, is that it is MUCH EASIER to integrate a sealed cabinet with a subwoofer, than a ported cabinet. You can use a Butterworth second order highpass electronic crossover, set at about 60 Hz, and wind up with just about a textbook-perfect 4th order LR highpass acoustic response for the main speakers. Simply use a 4th order LR lowpass at 60 Hz or so, to the subwoofer, and you should have pretty much taken care of crossovers.

Though, with a crossover point this low, you can "fiddle around" with "gapping" the crossovers (leaving a small region between where the lowpass rolls off the sub, and where the highpass rolls off the main cabinet, ie, "underlapping" the crossover points), to help "shelf" the subwoofer response (to make it effectively go lower in reach in its bottom end), or to help combat room boom modes (which frequently exist between 50 and 70 Hz in MANY rooms).

In all, I'd think it'd be quite an impressive system...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Unusual Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Adams
    Thanks Guys,
    Does anyone have pics of unusal system designs?
    I've yet to run across any of my neighbors that own either one of these designs...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The ones on the stands remind me of this from the "Christmas Story". Think I will go lick the pole.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Leggy

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    The ones on the stands remind me of this from the "Christmas Story". Think I will go lick the pole.

Rob
    That's unusual...

Steve Gonzales

oh yeah

Hey Peter, i hope she returns the favor

Thread Information