Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need design ideas

Butch Adams

Need design ideas

My latest project was going to be a reproduction of the 4345's but, being married always keeps you open to new ideas.
    Does anyone have examples of speaker systems that look more like furniture, not boxes?

Obsolete
    Those exponentials had a lot of depth to contend with... they weren't an issue with the LF transducers that required the large enclosure volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Adams
    Does anyone have examples of speaker systems that look more like furniture...?
    But, the 4345's do look kinda like kitchen furniture - a modest sized freezerbox!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Butch Adams

Designs

Ya that's what I got from Berta when I told her they would be 25% larger than the 4333's. The image was a real mood stopper.

Hmm that's tuff with the box size required for the 2245. You could scale back a bit too the 4344 which will buy you back about 1/3 of the volume and very little if any real loss in performance. Even then you will want to keep ay least 4.5-5 for the 2235. I toyed with the idea of a basic lowend box with a seperate head section with the 2122,2425 2307 and 2405. You could disquise the lower volume using shape and depth and have a head assembly up top that could be almost anything you want provided you have enough baffle for the 2308 to load properly. I chickened out for simplicity reasons and went with the generic box. I was going to go something along the lines off my XPL's but was afraid I couldn't pull it off. You could make a striking head assembly if you have the skills.

Rob

Steve Gonzales

Up,up and AWAY

Most large cities have a good way of dealing with the lack of space and that is to build UP!. A tower design is also very helpful in regards to speaker building. You can get great driver placement and a relatively small "footprint". Look at JBL pro designs; they use a tower design for a lot of the 47xx series and a Trapazoidal enclosure to help prevent backwave cancellation. I think if you used an L220/222 design and put a 10" driver for the lower mid-bass in place of the LE14 and used the 15" passive's hole for an active 2235h,136a, 2231a or h., you would have a wonderful 4 way. If you modified the dimentions to accomodate the use of a horn/compression driver in place of the LE5 as I have done, you could even use a large format driver of your choice. If I had the money and ability, I would build an enclosure with an 077/076 on top crossed at 5to 7k depending on which one, below that I would incorporate a 2397 with a 2441 or TAD 400X then a 2121,22 or 23 it's own sub enclosure, then a 2235H on the bottom. I would use a modified 4343 crossover too. I would style it after the L220 and veneer it in ROSEWOOD and use 1" MDF and brace it very heavily. I would have a dark JBL monitor blue grill cloth. I would have threaded inserts on the bottom for spiked feet or whatever type you need for your particular installation. you did not speak of a budget so, I am giving you my outline of a dream speaker. I hope this gives you fuel for thought. Good Luck and I hope you find what you need, Steve G

Butch Adams

Design help

Sorry fellows, this might help.
    Current component selection is 2-2242H's 2-le10A's 2-2426J's(on their way) and still needing 2-2405's or something like them for that spot.

I see what you're saying Steve, a satelite system of sorts. Does anyone have the construction details for the B460?

Steve Gonzales

2405's

If you need 2405's, send me a PM and I'll hook you up. BTW, I don't think you are gonna get all those drivers in a single enclosure without creating a MONSTER. Westlake has done the best job of creating something in the same vein as you need and they look quite nice-Steve G

BTW 2--are you planning on two of EACH of those aforementioned drivers PER cab?--that is what I'm refering to as a monster

Obsolete
    The LE10A is all wrong for the rest of those components.

Butch Adams

Design help

No, one each per side.
    What would you suggest in place of the old LE?

Obsolete
    Anything newer in a 10" format - 2121, 2122, 2123, 2012
    While the LE10A might mesh the best with the 2242H it won't have the efficiency or power handling of the rest of the system by a long shot. It would be a very weak link.

Butch Adams

design help

Thanks Guys,
    Does anyone have pics of unusal system designs?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Adams
    Does anyone have pics of unusal system designs?
    Sorry, but you did ask...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Anything newer in a 10" format - 2121, 2122, 2123, 2012
    While the LE10A might mesh the best with the 2242H it won't have the efficiency or power handling of the rest of the system by a long shot. It would be a very weak link.
    If you are not after serious SPLs, you could try the LE10As. The nice thing about the LE10As is that they go low enough to use with a true sub. I would use them in 10" three-ways with the horn of your choice with added 2405s. You will be padding down the 2426 and 2405 quite a lot, but that is OK. You should have quite a lot of design freedom with this package.

I would use the 2242s as subs and actively cross them over to the three-ways at the frequency of your choice between 40Hz and 80Hz. I feel that for music systems 80Hz is frequently too high but that is room and system dependent.

Alternatively, if you own your home, how about building them into your walls? You could fit 4345s into the walls and they would be virtually invisible.

Widget

pangea

design tip

I won't hesitate to recommend the design I used for my MTM hybrids.

I like them alot as is and I think they will be absolutely gorgeous when they are completed.

If you should choose this design, I should think, taking off an inch or so on the width would improve the design even more, as well as improving the WAF.

I would also be happy to share all my experiences from the building process.

They also sound great!

BR

Roland

Thread Information