Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Large Format Monitors

Can't wait to be surrounded by people who worship $1000 interconnects and cones made from platinum to isolate your amp from tantric vibrations and negative karma... Omhhh....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    tantric vibrations and negative karma... Omhhh....
    Y'know ... You are right!

On sober second thought, I think we'll skip it!

What were we thinking!?
    Michael Gillespie.

Can't wait to be surrounded by people who worship $1000 interconnects and cones made from platinum to isolate your amp from tantric vibrations and negative karma... Omhhh....

"tantric vibrations" I have a grandson that does that.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Found this picture of the interior of an LS/3

And what sits on top

Unhappy

Unfortunately, due to a shipping screwup, our Laboratory Series monitors will not be previewed at the Montreal HiFi show after all. Resonessence will substitute a pair of Westlakes in their display.

Look for the full reissue release at the Rocky Mountain Audiofest in October as previously scheduled.

Sorry for any disappointment - I know a couple people in particular have been planning to travel to hear them. If anyone is super-keen, PM me to setup an audition in Winnipeg in the meanwhile.
    Michael Gillespie.

The team that produced the most beautifull monitors I know - (L-R) Ted Telesky, Michael Gillespie, Bob Oliver.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Thanks for sharing them Lee, the pics really bring perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    Thanks for sharing them Lee, the pics really bring perspective.
    One more perspective is that the LansingHeritage member named MichaelG is the same Michael Gillespie as in the pictures. He was instrumental in this LS project back in the 1980s. We have here a very knowledgeable person who can probably help if you have LS monitors or wish to acquire a set. Oh, and the reason why I am fond of those monitors is because I have always been a huge fan of modular integration.

I wonder what's the difference in sound between Fostex's horn and a JBL 2397. Less combing at higher frequencies with the Fostex?

Oh. And here's a set of LS3 for sale in Montreal. That LeeDH is not me BTW. Michael contacted me thinking we were the same person ;-) Interestingly that LeeDH name seems to return from times to times in classifieds. I wonder if he's not a reseller/broker/scavenger. I don't know him.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...itor_speakers/

That other set, also in Canada, sold for $5.5k (well, asked price)

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...images/176228/

Looking at both previous pictures, and looking at the glued tinsels below the domes, it seems that one spaker has the correct cone, and not the other. They don't seem identical. Also, dome size and colour as well as cone texture seem to be different.

I wonder what's the difference in sound between Fostex's horn and a JBL 2397. Less combing at higher frequencies with the Fostex?

the rear of the fostex horn has a golf ball sized cavity near where the throat terminates on the flare side of the horn.
    I know this because I have a pair of the H425 horns that need repair (STILL!)

my understanding, not confirmed, is that early Olson audio papers may have discussed this design attribute --
    but as I mentioned, I've not confirmed this understanding...

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    the rear of the fostex horn has a golf ball sized cavity near where the throat terminates on the flare side of the horn.
    I know this because I have a pair of the H425 horns that need repair (STILL!)

my understanding, not confirmed, is that early Olson audio papers may have discussed this design attribute --
    but as I mentioned, I've not confirmed this understanding...
    The 2328 aluminum adapters for the 2350 and 2397 horns also have such golf ball size expansion area.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...0&d=1339789970

Lee

Thanks Lee, for the reminder...

the difference could have been an illusion, but before I had sent you those JBL throats.....
    I had visually compared the two... I thought the Fostex had a slightly larger cavity opening than the JBL, but
    again, it could have been an illusion, as the JBL uses a 2" exit driver, the Fostex a 1" unit; therefore the
    cavity is "more obvious" at a glance in viewing the Fostex unit.

But you're right, there goes that theory.

Lee in Montreal, thanks much for your recent pictures. we see gear all the time but not so often the genius behind the gear. I owned a pair of Fostex GZ 2001 hi fi speakers beginning in 1990 or so. They were offered at "blowout" prices at Adray's in Los Angeles, $1,400 per pair as I recall compared to the $4,500 list. They had planar drivers and the free edge woofer. Mine were in oak and a friend bought some the same day in rosewood. I later sold mine to some guys who soon fried the tweeters. They called my friend as they were too embarrassed to call me as I had warned them about the somewhat limited power handling.

I used to tune a piano in a recording studio in Anaheim, CA in the 1990s. They had some Fostex LS/2 or perhaps LS/3 monitors in the rear of the studio, disassembled and neglected. I always thought that they looked super cool even in that condition. Later an acquaintance scored three pairs of Fostex T825 tweeters in Europe and regarded them as superb. They sounded that way to me also when I heard them in his horn system.

BTW I just started another thread about a large size monitor that I find intriguing : the Ausbuperger monitors

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...801#post363801

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Lee in Montreal, thanks much for your recent pictures. we see gear all the time but not so often the genius behind the gear. I owned a pair of Fostex GZ 2001 hi fi speakers beginning in 1990 or so. They were offered at "blowout" prices at Adray's in Los Angeles, $1,400 per pair as I recall compared to the $4,500 list. They had planar drivers and the free edge woofer. Mine were in oak and a friend bought some the same day in rosewood. I later sold mine to some guys who soon fried the tweeters. They called my friend as they were too embarrassed to call me as I had warned them about the somewhat limited power handling.

I used to tune a piano in a recording studio in Anaheim, CA in the 1990s. They had some Fostex LS/2 or perhaps LS/3 monitors in the rear of the studio, disassembled and neglected. I always thought that they looked super cool even in that condition. Later an acquaintance scored three pairs of Fostex T825 tweeters in Europe and regarded them as superb. They sounded that way to me also when I heard them in his horn system.
    Steve, would you happen to know the name and address of the studio? Let me know.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information