Thread: Kudos and Project Questions.

Kudos and Project Questions.

This is an awesome site and I've had a great time pouring over the various forum threads and the library. Project May has also been very interesting to follow. I'm very impressed with the quality, commitment, and depth of knowledge I've found here. Great job all!

The last few weeks I've asked a some questions about a speaker project I'm working on . Thanks to all for your input. It's been helpful in the evolution of my project.

I've decided to go in the direction of a 4430 clone. I've expiramented with a few horns, and even a pair of Transylvania Tubes, but I like the sound of the 2344A's the best. Added to this is the ease of constructing a 3134 network and the abundant wealth of 4430 knowledge in the message threads. The more I study the 3134, the more impressed I am.

I have one last decision to make that I'd like to get your thoughts on. I'm considering adding a 10" midrange to cover the 320 - 1000 Hz range.

I'm trying to determine if the merits of adding the midrange driver to 4430 configuration will be worth the extra work and expense. I've PM'd Ian Mackenzie about this and am leaning in this direction.

At least, that is, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I think "What the heck, go with the proven 4430 design". On Sundays I'm simply confused and stay in bed.

Components are:
    2235H
    LE85/2234A (will change to 8 Ohm diaphragm when I build the crossover)

My questions:
    Is the bang of adding the midrange worth the buck (design, testing to get it right, and $)?

Which midrange would be best suited? 2122H, 2123H, or 2012H? Other?

If I add the midrange, could I combine the HF from the 3134 (4430) network and the LF and MF from the 3143 (4343) network? It appears on the surface that this would work, or at least be a good starting place.

Or, would it be better to modify the LF section 3134 instead?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    UP

Forget it. 2235H plays very nicely up in the range you contemplate for supplementation. It all works as a proven good thing, and you'll just mess it up.

4430 works in large part BECAUSE it's a two-way.

[O.K., a quasi-three-way then.]

Spend some time with a pair of 4430's, and you'll get it....

Thread Information