Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active crossover?

Active crossover?

I have some Tax refund money to spend and have thought about a Behringer DCX2496. I have an analog Behringer CX3400 now. The digital unit allows alot of flexiblity in setting slopes and for time/phase correction. I have some crazy stuff going on with my system and think that this may help sort it all out.

Is there anything else available? Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thank you very much,

Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Don

Is your system a 2-3-4 way?

Ken

Yes what are you running drivers and such??

Rob

pelly3s
    i would personally spend the money on a dbx driverack pa

ralphs99
    I bought myself a DBX driverack PA (same as the studio except for the presets) and I'm very happy with it. Lots of cool stuff to play with like the sub-bass synthesiser. The only thing I don't like about it is that the eq can only be set the same way for both channels. In my odd shaped room, I would have liked to be able to eq each channel individually.

Cheers, Ralph.

System is shown here:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ad.php?p=38746 (scroll down to mid page)

It's 3 way active with a VLF even though the 2235 and the 2242 both cover the same frequency. I have a UHF passively crossed on top @ 5K 6db/octave. So a 4 way plus sub is what I guess you would call it.
    If I didn't have all of this stuff from my portable DJ days, I would opt for some thing simpler.
    I have some issues with trying to integrate all of this stuff properly and think the digital phase correction, the ability to change slopes and overlap Xover points may help sort it out.
    I know that Berhinger usually reverse engineers someone elses design so there must be another brand out there. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the real deal.

Thanks for the responses,

Don M
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

OK, I followed the recommendations to: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/183588/

That looks do-able.
    At first I went to the DBX web site and saw the 4800 and the expected street price of almost $4000. Nice piece but of couse that is out of the question on my budget.
    The one linked looks good and I have dealt with Musicians Friend before. (Good servive and the pricing seems right).

I will wait until Monday to order and see if anyone comes up with a better idea.

Thanks again,

Don M

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphs99
    ...DBX driverack PA...The only thing I don't like about it is that the eq can only be set the same way for both channels.
    Are you sure about that? On my DR260, (a step up), the channels can be unlinked so you can have completely different settings on both channels.

John

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Mascali
    I will wait until Monday to order and see if anyone comes up with a better idea.
    Don - you may want to look into the Driverack 260 - it has all the features of the PA/Studio models, plus much more. The channels can be unlinked for individual adjustments, and it can also be run from a computer/laptop. Here's a place that has them under $730: http://www.roaddogonline.com/store/c...ct_detail&p=49

John

Hello

Take care when using any "auto Eq" function as it may / will try to eq a system flat to 20hz and if your system does not go that low the DSP will attempt it by applying large amouts of boost at the low end frequencies. This damage speakers and at least reduce your systems over all headroom. The DBX drive rack and the 260 all use 24 bit 48k sampling. The DBX 4800 and the BSS Omnidrive compact are a step up at 24bit 96k sampling but at a cost increase. I was at the Harmon road show trade demo a few week ago and the BSS rep told me that in the terms of audio quailty good analog processing sounds better than their own 48k based DSP's and the 96k products can hold their own with good analog in sound quality. Unfortunaly BSS no longer makes any analog crossovers, they can still be found on the used market at decent prices. Funny thing is that the high end analog crossovers by BSS and KT still sell used for about what many of the new DSP's such as the DBX Drive Rack and the 260 sell for new. I guess any trade offs in sound quality have to be weighted against the extra tweeks that can be done in the digital world with driver time aligment being the biggest advantage in my opinion. For what it's worth all of my large live PA renforcement systems are still analog using TDM crossovers. If going digital today the main players to look for would be BSS, DBX, XTA, Lake, Ashly & Klark Tecnik.

Mike Caldwell

"The DBX 4800 and the BSS Omnidrive compact are a step up at 24bit 96k sampling but at a cost increase."

Thats not a "Step Up", it's scaling Mt. Everest for me.

I will order a DBX in the morning. I'm still playing around with what I will chose. The 260 seems to have better interface with a PC. I've been trying to do the "Media Center" thing with my system and I like the idea of hooking up it up and plans are to purchase some testing software soon.

You guys have been very helpful.

Don M

Hello
    The DBX drive rack does not offer any computer interface, the 260 does and is has some additional features as well. A warning about the DBX drive rack it produces a very large output spike at power up and power off than can be speaker damaging if you power amps are turned up.
    DBX makes a version of the 260 without the front panel controls just the input and output metering for use with a PC for all of the programing, it's a little less expensive.

Mike Caldwell

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell
    A warning about the DBX drive rack it produces a very large output spike at power up and power off than can be speaker damaging if you power amps are turned up.
    Hmmm...I haven't noticed that with mine, possibly because the amps I've used it with have a turn-on delay. I'll have to check this out. As a matter of course, I usually power the amps on last anyway, with the volume down all the way. 'Always first off, too.

DBX makes a version of the 260 without the front panel controls just the input and output metering for use with a PC for all of the programing, it's a little less expensive.
    Do you have more info on this? I don't recall seeing this at their site.

John

Hello
    I was a little behind the times, with a little checking I found that model has been dicontinued! The new replacement looks to be the 220I it has some other features that would not be needed for a home set up though.
    Another DSP unit is the Shure 4800 it's geared for the install market it uses a PC for all controls and the software is very easy to use. You can go all of the DSP companies websites and download their control software and get a feel of how they operate without ever connecting your PC to the equipment.

Mike Caldwell

As for the Drive Rack power spike, with proper amp power up and down it is not an issue but if something unforseen happens you'll get a surprise! Give it a test with your power amp turned WAY WAY down.

Mike Caldwell

Thread Information