Thread: Jbl ideal storage question

Jbl ideal storage question

Because of a move, I am having to store my JBL collection for quite some time. Everything is going to be stored in a secured box truck and here are my questions. Is there a ideal humidity to store speakers at? (can the air be to dry?) I am going to have a dehumidifier in the storage unit and it can be set for different humidity settings. I am also going to be storing my machine shop equipment to, and I know all of that stuff will like dry air, but it is the speakers that concern me.

For long term storage (over a year) is it better to store the speakers on their backs to prevent cone sag? This will be easy to do on my 240ti's, but harder to do with the 250ti's and my B460 subs. I trust the experts on this board, if it really would help I will make the effort to store them all flat.

Many thanks for any advice, it has taken me along time to get all my babies and I dont want to screw them up in storage.

The common consensus around here ( I think ) is that woofers with foam surrounds are best stored so that the speaker cone is in the normal vertical ( operating ) orientation. Apparently woofers with those low 20s Fs have compliances that are loose enough that the cones will either migrate inwards or outwards if you leave them face up or down . That makes a lot of sense for woofers with loose compliances. So store them in the normal operating orientation .

I would make sure they are tightly wrapped with something to make them vermin proof ( & water proof ). If they were mine , I'd consider blocking the ports with "plumbing" supply stoppers so that the boxes don't offer an attractive safe haven to mice or rats . I'd also look into some of the products that farmers buy to repel mice and keep the critters away from their combines when they are not in use. A lot of those products have a scent however / though some are a "natural" scent .

As you can see, pest control ( apart from the typical water damage concern ) would be a significant focus for me .

What Earl saying is right I had a nasty surprise trying to store the foam drivers on there faces or backs. The cones/spiders sag. I flip mine once a week and it seems to work but long term on edge is the best way.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by wsilva
    Because of a move, I am having to store my JBL collection for quite some time.
    Well, only this once - go ahead and send 'em all to me. Boy, the burdens of this Forum!

and...

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I flip mine once a week...
    You, sir, need another hobby...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

... cones/spiders sag. I flip mine once a week and it seems to work...
    Once a week.... that is too much dedication! I flip mine about every season change...three months. I try to keep them vertical but sometimes that isn't practical. I try to rotate the vertical ones about twice a year.

It is hard to tell from this photo, but I inspected these speakers in person and they had probably never been rotated. The foam (yes it is the old Lans-a-loy, but modern foam will do the same thing) was twice as wide at the top of the speakers as at the bottom.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You, sir, need another hobby...Today 08:05 AM

I only have 2 pairs of 12's to flip. One of which I just got empty L100T cabinets for. Going to make up a pair of supper 4412's in the L100T boxes. Then it will be one

Rob

Obsolete
    Going to make up a pair of supper 4412's in the L100T boxes.
    Excellent chance to highjack yet another thread!
    So... are you going to build biased filters for them!?

Let's go to Havana!!!!

Hello Giskard

I have been toying with the idea. Doing the original schematic with the potentiometers not the latter versions sans.

Rob

Thread Information