Thread: One of the first Paragons???

One of the first Paragons???

Just got an original Paragon today. If I told you what I paid for it, you'd all fly out here and kill me. Trust me on this one.

I just checked the serial numbers. The right unit is 230. The left is 231. They are not the long serial numbers I have seen everyone posting. They are on the small sticker on the bottom of the cabinets, next to the front outboard legs. The model number is D44000. Yep, no W or X in the model number.

All drivers are original with the 150-4C installed. Sounds good, but stuff in the lower end.

Under the leg posts for the mid-horn, it is stamped "127". Does this mean anything?

It is ply wood with a small amount of pressboard on the back only.

Can anyone shed some light on what I have here? Real world value? Not gonna sell, just curious.

Thanks!

whgeiger

Mega-Bucks

RH,

If the enclosure is in mint condition, $20,000 with drivers and c/o's refurbished (not replaced). Do not modify anything; otherwise, value will be less. If enclosure needs restoration, get a professional to do it. Keep a written record of all work performed on the unit.

Regards,

WHG

It is FOR SALE now, by the way. Indepth descriptions and pics under Marketplace, under the heading of "Value of a 1957 Paragon". Make an offer.

Wow that was quick, less than 24 hours and it's for sale

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Wow that was quick, less than 24 hours and it's for sale
    He paid $250, now hes gonna get $20,000 or so!

Its said everything and everyone has its price, I guess we know his!

scottyj

Don't shoot me but it almost sounds too good to be true, especialy when you add the part about the second pair of speakers thrown in. I am suprised the seller did not throw in a pair of marantz tube amp's on top of that.

Well, it's probably a good idea to sell them now - before one gets attached to them .

It'll be a lot less painful this way .

Rotflmao!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Don't shoot me but it almost sounds too good to be true, especialy when you add the part about the second pair of speakers thrown in. I am suprised the seller did not throw in a pair of marantz tube amp's on top of that.
    well, John, it just so happens the seller sold those the day before! For 50 bucks, dont cha know!

scottyj

If I knew the location of that pawn shop I would be back there checking right to the back wall right to the floor , just imagine what other treasures could be there. Could be a bunch of W.E. field coil stuff that you could flip for $40.000 dollars. That stuff is the best sounding equipment that has ever been made, after that it has been all down hill

All he seems to have left are a pair of Bose 901 Series 1, and a pair of Boston Acoustics CR5's. The rest is old Mitsubishi and Luxman. He does have one older "all in one" Luxman he will part with though. A very expensive unit in it's day.

At his other shops, he has another Yamaha CA-2010 (I bought the one he had at that store for $200) and a few Marantz receivers. When I bought the Paragon, I picked up a Sansui QRX-5500 that needed a small repair. That was only $50.00.

He is a 70 year old retired Army Surgeon that seems to like to sort through the junk more then sell it.

As for selling it, I am not in a hurry. I am growing attached to the sound, but could use the money. Just a poor Federal employee here ya know.

Oh, it is not a pawn shop, it is a junk type shop. It is in Oak Grove, VA. About 1 hour south of Washington DC.

I'll check out more for you guys this weekend, if you are interested. In this backwards ass place I live, some folks just do not know, nor care what they have sometimes, as long as they can make a buck.

BLOSE

??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook98
    All he seems to have left are a pair of Bose 901 Series 1, and a pair of Boston Acoustics CR5's. The rest is old Mitsubishi and Luxman. He does have one older "all in one" Luxman he will part with though. A very expensive unit in it's day.

At his other shops, he has another Yamaha CA-2010 (I bought the one he had at that store for $200) and a few Marantz receivers. When I bought the Paragon, I picked up a Sansui QRX-5500 that needed a small repair. That was only $50.00.

He is a 70 year old retired Army Surgeon that seems to like to sort through the junk more then sell it.

As for selling it, I am not in a hurry. I am growing attached to the sound, but could use the money. Just a poor Federal employee here ya know.
    Somehow, I just get the feeling these will be up for sale! I think the staggering " value " tends to overwhelm, and will outweigh your desire to keep them!

scottyj

Thread Information