Thread: professional ampli and not : what difference

Question professional ampli and not : what difference

Hello

I just wonder what is the difference between a profesionnal amplifier and a hifi amplifier .

I just check that pro amp like Pss ; jv systems etc have a fan which may be noisy ( weight is also better ) .

Can we say there is quality difference between pro and not ?
    Can we say a pro amp is not perfect for high fidelity ?
    or can we say we have to test each of them ?

Thanks for comments

Gerard

Generally speaking, pro amps are better and cheaper.

They don't all have fans.

If you have other gear between the source and the amp (EQ and/or active crossover), the balanced line inputs are a significant advantage for reducing noise pickup.

I use JBL 6230 and 6260 exclusively here now. They have the same output devices as my hella expensive Sony ES stuff.

They are so cheap used ($100 - $150) now, you feel like a thief buyin' them.

They are THX certified.

They don't have fans.

I've never seen a clip light come on, in spite of their "modest" power ratings.

They have built-in bridging options if you want more power.

Mr. Widget's testing out one of mine as I type, maybe.

Hopefully, he'll determine they're somewhat better than total crap....

Smile

I'm using some old Soundcraftsmen amps for my serious gear. Depending on the model no., you either get the pro or consumer version, with the only difference being the style of the inputs. These tanks put out lots of power. Right now I've got six PCR800s, two A100s and an A200. Some are 20 years old and measure cleaner than some of my newer, much more expensive multichannel amps.
    Out.

I use Yamaha P2500,P5000 and two P7000 pro amps. I have never had the fans come on and they are speed controlled if they did. Even woofer testing doesn't make them work that hard. 700 wpc @ 8 ohms would cost a fortune for consumer gear.

They are switching power supply amps (Class D?). There's a whole new area of contraversy there. The Crown class AB are almost industry standard, they sound good and take amasing abuse.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Thread Information