Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL vs. AR

Quote Originally Posted by heavyeleven
    My listening post is essentially a hard cube of approximate dimensions 14'x14'x8' - hardwood floors, no soft furniture, two draperied windows, coupla throw rugs. Presently my power comes from an ancient Kenwood KR 9400 receiver, supposedly 100+ w per side when it was new four decades ago. Have recently driven Bose 901 Series 3 satisfactorily.
    With that small of a room, I wouldn't recommend a L100T... probably would be TOO much bass energy (overly bass-heavy). Ironically, with that much hard surface, the L100 probably wouldn't be my first choice, either.

My inclination, given that space, would be to look for a pair of JBL L166 or L112, or a pair of 120Ti or L80T/L80T3. Those have a "mellow" enough sounding midrange, that they won't "rip you apart" in a "hard" room, and have very good bass control, while still having the dynamic "slam" that endears JBLs to a lot of us.

Other speakers that would probably work very well in that space would be the JBL L96 or the L110. Those are smaller cabinets (10" bookshelf speakers), but in a 14x14x8 room, they should still have quite adequate bass output, IME.

Regards,
    Gordon.

pbda
    I've got a pair of each. Like my kids, I love 'em both, understanding that each has its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Suggest that for balance you also place your original post in the AR section of the Classic Speaker Pages forum (www.classicspeakerpages.net).

Steve Gonzales

Funny !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    HUH?
    OMG! CLASSIC RESPONSE!.--Ti-Dome, I could picture that conversation in my mind, Gut BUSTER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    I hate to get on the 4430 bandwagon 24 years too late, but WTH.
    Welcome aboard!

Charley Rummel

My memories of AR

The people I've known over the years who tend to like the AR sound are really looking for a mellower, gentler, "let's not give grandpa a heart attack" sound. They all seemed to listen to a lot of classical, orchestral music, or mellow sounding vocalists.

Others I've known who've listenned to AR's didn't keep them around very long, and switched to a more lively dynamic sounding brand. They heard AR was a good brand from people who didn't share their tastes, invested, and then a short time later went to something else like Altec or JBL. Some of my acquaintences switched after frying the drivers in an attempt to get more dynamic reproduction.

Regards,
    Charley

A belated thanks to all for the lively input on my question of AR vs. JBL. Your remarks, opinions and witticisms fell on open ears and a curious mind.

In early May I went down below to visit JBL Judy in Oxford, Michigan. She had several pairs of JBL speakers for sale, including the L100 and L100t mentioned in this thread. Judy was kind enough to let me hang around for the morning, ABing as best I could between her garage and living room.

Went to lunch and beat the thing around, decided I could live without new speakers. Returned to sign off with Judy. Involuntary reflexes caused me to beg another five minutes with the L100t's. Five got 20, then 60. Shook the wallet, fanned the checkbook, dickered and lost. Loaded them up in the van during the last blizzard of the season.

While the L100t is an obvious overkill for my small, bright listening space. the sound to these untrained ears is excellent. Or am I merely developing "enhanced appreciation" for The Kingsmen - Live at The Chase? No, everything from Ustad Ali Akbar Khan to Live Steam sounds great, though I would probably prefer something more East Coast for classical. In my humble estimate, pbda of Boston seems to have it right here.

Incidentally, can anyone enlighten me as to the wood type of the L100t veneer? It is light brown, not orange as some internet pegs show. Sure doesn't look like any walnut I've ever worked with, either color or grain. Serial #'s 162XX

Thanks again for your input.

RIP 2009
    Excellent choice on the L100T's - congratulations! I believe the veneer is actually oak on these.

One especially nice thing about the LxxT series is that you can later add some of their smaller models, such as the floor-standing 8" 2-way L60T or bookshelf 6.5" 2-way L20T as rear surround speakers, on your way to a full surround system that still has excellent speakers for stereo mains. The sound character is very similar between all these models, and they're often to be had for very reasonable prices from places like eBay.

John

I have two pairs of AR48s and a pair of AR28s. I like 'em, but nothing... amazing.
    Excuse my ignorance.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    I believe the veneer is actually oak on these.
    I got that oak reference from the sales brochure for the LxxT3 series, which states that they were available in walnut or oak. But looking at my plain "T" series, the ones I have are walnut. 'Not sure if they offered the plain "T" series in oak also...

John

Nothing New

What the man said: let your ears be your guide.
    But with that said, assuming your Kenwood has sufficient power to drive them, the AR's will produce deeper, more articulated bass than the JBL's and
    will. in most environments. sound better playing classical music. If it's rock that drives you, stay with the JBL's
    all the way and get loud.

My very first stereo was a Harmon Kardon 330 reciever and a pair of AR18's It was enough in my bedroom to get TURN IT DOWN !! screamed at me at a unbelievable level from mom,It seems like yesterday.

All right, I'll be a heretic. From my admitedly limited experience with both and I did make the choice and kept the AR3a's. The AR3a's are excellent speakers and, yes, better than the L100's - let me point out and remind others that the 3a's were competing head to head with Quad ESL's - Therefore, if you value flat frequency response and extended bass (yes these do have, for their size truly excellent bass) then you should reconsider the 3a's advice of other members notwithstanding :-) Most importantly, if you listen to classics, jazz, folk they might be your better bet ....

cheers, guenter

AR 3as

Well, I don't think I could be ultimately satisfied with either the L100 or the AR3a, and I'd need to audition the 3as again before I chose one over the other, but I know I'd love to have a pair to compliment my L100s... I almost sold my L100s some time back... I'm glad I kept them. They're a good benchmark or milestone for where I've been.

Widget

Thread Information