Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL L100t

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL L100t

I am actually going to check out a pair of these soon. Per the seller, the woofers had the surrounds redone and the cones "treated" whatever that means. Saw 1 pick (looked very clean as far as I could tell) but awaiting some high res ones.

Does anyone here have any experiences (good or bad) toward this speaker? With my current electronics (Adcom GFA-5800 amp/GTP-450 preamp combo), I was not at all pleased with the sound presented when I coupled them with a pair of Klipsch Heresy I's (1985 vintage). Also, good price range for pair this clean.

Are these SS friendly? Not ready to get into tube gear at this point !

John

RIP 2009
    The L100T is highly regarded here. What price point are you looking at?

John

Not sure. Have seen this:

JBL
    SPK, L-100T L-SERIES (PAIR)

Description: 3-WAY, 12" WOOFER, 5" MIDRANGE, 1" TWEETER
    Manufacture Years: 1985 - 1989

Retail
    MSRP: $1,200.00

USED: $300.00

I was going in low initially but I am not as comfortable with JBL as I am with vintage electronics in general so was looking for some feed-back here! Also, if I heard that these need the tube amps to truly bring them to "life" so to speak, most likely I won't even bother to check them out.

RIP 2009
    $300 is a great price. Do you know what condition the foam surrounds on the 12" speakers are in? These commonly need to be replaced by now. The foam kits are inexpensive, (usually about $25/pr), but can be tricky to replace, though there are good directions with pictures if you search here on the forums, or if needed, you could get an expert to do it.

They should sound perfectly fine with SS amps - there's too much voodo in the SS/tube thing for me anyway...a good speaker will sound good with a good amp, whether SS or tube. Your preferred Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. should sound excellent with an SS amp through these!

John

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank
    I am actually going to check out a pair of these soon. Per the seller, the woofers had the surrounds redone and the cones "treated" whatever that means. Saw 1 pick (looked very clean as far as I could tell) but awaiting some high res ones.

Does anyone here have any experiences (good or bad) toward this speaker? With my current electronics (Adcom GFA-5800 amp/GTP-450 preamp combo), I was not at all pleased with the sound presented when I coupled them with a pair of Klipsch Heresy I's (1985 vintage). Also, good price range for pair this clean.

John
    The Heresy I often sounds better with tube equipment because of the tube-typical roll off in the higher frequencies. The Heresy's rising high end tends to compensate for the roll off, even more with vinyl sources. Solid state may sound overly bright, especially with digital recordings with a bright mix.

The L100t is much more balanced but I have still heard others comment on its brightness, or some upper end glare. The balance is definitely not vintage JBL if vintage means a more forward mid and humped mid-bass. The L100t does not have variable attenuation, so if you are looking for a turn-key system, you should give attention to the upper end spectrum of the system. As far as the other end of spectrum, the L100t likes power and will mate with the Adcom very well.

A treated cone? To me treated means some gook applied to the paper cone. This will be evident by a "wet-look" to the cone. The net effect may well be minimal but what benefit it may have is questionable if the treatment adds weight to the cone and effects the intended response.

DavidF

So, got about a dozen shots of the speakers and they look great. Now we talk turkey and I also have to sell this off to the wife as to why I have to have them

Yank

Here is a shot of them. Looks like weekend of 4/2 at this point but getting closer!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RIP 2009
    'Looks like they were re-foamed with the foam on the outside instead of the inside, or is that just the photo? If on the outside, that could be a good bargaining point, ('should be on the inside). 'Still, I'd consider them a very good deal at $300! It's more of an esthetic difference than sonic difference...

John

I will definitely ask. His price is over 300.00 as well. Never hurts being more informed. Thanks a lot!

John

JBL Dog

John
    John:

I've said it here before, and I'll say it again: In their price range, the JBL L100T is the most underrated speaker ever produced by JBL. It blows me away how cheap you can pick these up on Ebay. I bought a set from CMC Stereo in St. Louis when they were going out of business in 1988 ($560 new for the "demo" pair... everyday price was $499 each). The only bad thing I can say about them is the quality of the veneer used is horrible. It will bubble and peel off. I got the large format monitor bug (4343, 4430) a while back and something had to go. Because the cabs looked so bad, I gutted it and sold the components. A few pieces went to fellow LH members. The cabinets went to the dumpster.

At an average of $300 used, there's nothing on the market that will even come close to the performance of the L100T.... GO FOR IT!!

This message comes from JBL Dog

One issue is I cannot figure out dimensions of the cabs! Downloaded owners, etc from JBL but nadda! Anyone got the HxWxD on these speakers?

John

JBL Dog
    One issue is I cannot figure out dimensions of the cabs! Downloaded owners, etc from JBL but nadda! Anyone got the HxWxD on these speakers?

John
    The dimensions for the L100T3 are on this site. There shouldn't be any difference between that and an original L100T.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ies/page07.jpg

Dimensions: 36.5" x 16" x 13.25 ( H x W x D )

Attached Images Attached Images

Earl K thanks a lot!

John

Saturday is the day! I have to drive 2+ hours each way Saturday to get them but I am excited!!!

John

Thread Information