Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: JBL Family Photo

Big boxes

My wife does not like large speaker boxes, particularly in rooms such as the living room, bed rooms, office, basement, etc.

How do you convince your GF that multiple systems with large "boxes" look great in the home and are very functional?

....my 802 XLS Crown has two windmill fans that are "on" continuously. They are soooooo loud, I had to disconnect them for piece and quiet.

Office 2

These pretty L250s are in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in LA, but they serve me well when I need a dose of civilized culture in the midst of the violence that plagues the area. I have it a lot better than the kids and families who try to make a life for themselves here in this difficult place, and I've dedicated my life to helping those kids make the right choices.

On some days this is just what the doctor ordered: some smooth jazz playing on big, four-way JBLs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Office 2

This pair is driven by Soundcraftsmen Pro gear. It's all very, very nice, if a little old school.

The four drivers are all original on this L250, down to the golden 044-1 tweeter and the dustcap-dented LE5.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    My wife does not like large speaker boxes, particularly in rooms such as the living room, bed rooms, office, basement, etc.

How do you convince your GF that multiple systems with large "boxes" look great in the home and are very functional?

....my 802 XLS Crown has two windmill fans that are "on" continuously. They are soooooo loud, I had to disconnect them for piece and quiet.
    When we moved into this newer house, we made several decisions.
    1) The bottom-most rooms were mine to develop into the music room and home theater. Once done, she loved them both.
    2) We would leave the main floor electronics-free except for one sound system, which is the Performance Series 5.1 MCH music system. It incorporates well into the new furniture (hint, hint) we bought for the family room, living room, dining room, and kitchen eating area. There's no TV, game system, computers, projectors, etc. anywhere on that floor.
    3) The S/2600s were in our bedroom at the old place, so they just moved into the bigger master suite with us. She didn't say anything different and I didn't ask any questions. Silence gives assent, right?
    4) The garage would be my problem. If I could make stuff fit and still get Beatrice (the Chrysler's TC by Maserati) in there, everything would be cool.
    5) The placement of the other systems in the bedrooms was easy as long as I agreed to keep the rooms clean and make them kid safe when necessary.

So the simple answer is this: buy a "new" house that she loves, buy a ton of new furniture, promise to keep it clean, and make it a welcome place for her family, and everything will work out.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    This pair is driven by Soundcraftsmen Pro gear.
    Now we're talking! Looks like you could use a couple of switch buttons on the Pro-Power.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Now we're talking! Looks like you could use a couple of switch buttons on the Pro-Power.
    Yep, I bought a nonworking EQ unit to cannibalize some buttons. I've had it about a year, and still can't remember to bring the buttons up.
    Out.

Office 3

Here are another pair of L7s, this time in a room all to themselves. The set up is perfect for L7s, and they are indeed the finest sounding of my office systems. They have an incredibly wide soundstage, great imaging, plenty of punch, and excellent LF extension. I had to use a wide angle lense to get both in the picture, and it sucked the light right out of the room.
    Out.

Office 3

Here's looking across from another angle.

The L7s are passively biamped using JBL's unique L7 crossover design. The lows are powered by a Soundcraftsmen A400, and the highs are powered by another. The amazing DX4200 holds it all together.

This truly is a superlative system.
    Out.

What's Left?

This will do for the January 2009 JBL Family Photos. I didn't include the EON15s and EON10s, the JBL Creature system, or any of the auto gear, since none of them are being used in home or office applications.

It's frightening to actually see it all documented. Clearly, I need to get some things under control.

I swear, any day now, I'm gonna stop...
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    The L7s are passively biamped using JBL's unique L7 crossover design. The lows are powered by a Soundcraftsmen A400, and the highs are powered by another. The amazing DX4200 holds it all together.

This truly is a superlative system.
    Don't forget; we're supposed to call that "bi-wiring". I have been thoroughly chastised on this forum for making the same mistake you just did!

If I ever visit you, remind me to bring the spray paint for your DX4200 handles! It's a bit darker than the GM#318 Charcoal I use on the older Crown PS-series Amps, but pretty close.

Thread Information