Thread: Bad clicking noise at higher volumes

Bad clicking noise at higher volumes

OK, I have a pair of JBL 3-way studio monitors in the basement that are being driven by an older Adcom 200WPC power amp w/ separate Adcom pre-amp.

Anyway, yesterday while listening to them at half volume, they started to make a loud clicking noise; first one channel and then the other. The clicking does not ocurr when the amp is not driven hard - say 1/4 volume.

Is this systematic of DC voltage being dumped into the outputs by the Adcom power amp?

I'm assuming this would be very dangerous to the speakers.

Cant speak specifically about the Adcom-but in general your correct.

The higher power output demands will tax the semiconductors that are weak and about to fail.

Get it out of your system immeadently to avoid an expensive speaker repair.

Oldmics

I'm using a friend's Adcom 400 pre amp, one of the switches (I think input select) is dirty and causes blown speaker noises until switched is pushed turned etc hard multiple times to clean it. I was surprised by the sound it caused, didn't sound electronic but speaker related.Definetly wasn't, try your switches

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

pre-amp or power amp issue?

....Thanks

So to check this I should remove the Adcom power amp, replace it with another amp and see if the noise is still present; right? I suppose that would confirm that the pre-amp and not the power amp is the cause.

The weird part IMO, is the clicking started in one channel and them moved to the other.

If your adcom preamp has a headphone output, you can use that to check if the pre is the problem. It could also be leaky electrolytic capacitors in either the pre or power amp...though this often has more of a popping or crackling sound.

Thread Information