Though I like the JBL 2242H for a number of reasons, I am wondering if there might be a better 18" driver for my application.
I have an 8 cu.ft. cabinet that I want to use as a "helper" low end cabinet in a small PA system. The mains are two pairs of JBL K140s in cabinets tuned around 40Hz. They sound fine for the low end, but I want to be able to add a little extra low end in some events (outdoors, especially) without simply pushing the 15s by pushing up the low end EQ. My 3 way crossover has a seperate "Sub Out", so I can drive my sub while still giving my 15s everything below their transition to mids.
The 2242H has a gentle roll off starting about 150Hz and is down about 5 dB by 40Hz in an enclosure tuned to 32Hz. The Gauss 4883B, for comparison, is flat from 250 down to 30Hz! It only shows a sensitivity of 96dB, but it doesn't have the big peak the 2242 has between 1K and 2K, which may account for some of the JBL's 99dB sensitivity. I don't plan to use this "Sub" above 200Hz.
The Gauss in this example does require a larger cabinet (10 cu.ft.) and a port of 45 sq. in. with a 10" duct.
My question is if there are other 18s that produce deep low end in medium cabinets that I should consider over the 2242H.

Thanks for your opinions.

Tom