Thread: Which 18 ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tom Loizeaux

Which 18 ?

Though I like the JBL 2242H for a number of reasons, I am wondering if there might be a better 18" driver for my application.
    I have an 8 cu.ft. cabinet that I want to use as a "helper" low end cabinet in a small PA system. The mains are two pairs of JBL K140s in cabinets tuned around 40Hz. They sound fine for the low end, but I want to be able to add a little extra low end in some events (outdoors, especially) without simply pushing the 15s by pushing up the low end EQ. My 3 way crossover has a seperate "Sub Out", so I can drive my sub while still giving my 15s everything below their transition to mids.
    The 2242H has a gentle roll off starting about 150Hz and is down about 5 dB by 40Hz in an enclosure tuned to 32Hz. The Gauss 4883B, for comparison, is flat from 250 down to 30Hz! It only shows a sensitivity of 96dB, but it doesn't have the big peak the 2242 has between 1K and 2K, which may account for some of the JBL's 99dB sensitivity. I don't plan to use this "Sub" above 200Hz.
    The Gauss in this example does require a larger cabinet (10 cu.ft.) and a port of 45 sq. in. with a 10" duct.
    My question is if there are other 18s that produce deep low end in medium cabinets that I should consider over the 2242H.

Thanks for your opinions.

Tom

How about the 2245 ? Or even a set of 2235's :dont-know....smaller box
    LE15-Thumper
    "Give me JBL, or give me death"

dieterj
    I would go with a couple of 2242 in double Enclosure

arrgh5
    http://www.jblpro.com/ae/asb6128v.html

Too big, too expensive but ±3 dB at 25 Hz – 300 Hz ! and cont. avg. spl is
    134 dB between 30 Hz – 100 Hz.

Tom Loizeaux
    Any more opinions on other 18" drivers, like Gauss, for my sub woofer application?

Tom

arrgh5
    http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/PDF/JBL.SRX718S.pdf

±3 dB at 34 Hz – 220 Hz , 36 Kg , 95 db 1w/1m .

Better ?

Btw, i got two of these

http://www.jblpro.com/srx700/PDF/JBL.SRX728S.pdf

to support the old sr4715s at the low end.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Though I like the JBL 2242H for a number of reasons, I am wondering if there might be a better 18" driver for my application.
    I have an 8 cu.ft. cabinet that I want to use as a "helper" low end cabinet in a small PA system. The mains are two pairs of JBL K140s in cabinets tuned around 40Hz. They sound fine for the low end, but I want to be able to add a little extra low end in some events (outdoors, especially) without simply pushing the 15s by pushing up the low end EQ. My 3 way crossover has a seperate "Sub Out", so I can drive my sub while still giving my 15s everything below their transition to mids.
    The 2242H has a gentle roll off starting about 150Hz and is down about 5 dB by 40Hz in an enclosure tuned to 32Hz. The Gauss 4883B, for comparison, is flat from 250 down to 30Hz! It only shows a sensitivity of 96dB, but it doesn't have the big peak the 2242 has between 1K and 2K, which may account for some of the JBL's 99dB sensitivity. I don't plan to use this "Sub" above 200Hz.
    The Gauss in this example does require a larger cabinet (10 cu.ft.) and a port of 45 sq. in. with a 10" duct.
    My question is if there are other 18s that produce deep low end in medium cabinets that I should consider over the 2242H.

Thanks for your opinions.

Tom
    Compare the Gauss 4883B directly with the 2245H.

Keep in mind your low pass filter.

The 4883B "likes" a volume of ~ 8 to 16 cu ft while the 2242H "likes" a significantly smaller volume.

Here's an example of the 2242H and 4883B in a 4645C enclosure coupled with a LR 80 Hz LP filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information