Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single B460 or pair of B380

majick47

Single B460 or pair of B380

Visited my brother this week and after dinner we listened to his 4311b, he is slowly coming to the conclusion that a subwoofer would make a big difference on the low end and I remineded him about a local sale last year of a B460 with crossover that he passed on for around $800 or BO. I was wondering if a pair of B380 would also be a good choice when he is ready to take the next step in upgrading his system. Space wise I think the B460 would fit the best in his listening room of roughly 16x24 with a high ceiling (14' +). Which JBL subwoofer would you recommend, one B460 or two B380?

dieterj
    Quote Originally Posted by majick47
    Which JBL subwoofer would you recommend, one B460 or two B380?
    I think two B460 also ok

I like stereo subs so if I had the room I would go for a pair of B380's. Just drop the 4311 right on top.

Rob

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by majick47
    Which JBL subwoofer would you recommend, one B460 or two B380?
    I'll vote for two B380's, if two B460's is out of the question.

Too much is just right. Go for two B460s.

Seriously, two help to fill nulls and low bass can be localized by the frequencies above the bandpass.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Obsolete
    Exactly! I can distinctly remember how much better life was when we added a second B212 to the L212 system waaaaay back in that era.

I've been watching this pair and thinking about Zilch's quick & dirty 4430's...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

He's got 'em upside down, tho.

Trust the Zilchster.

[May have to make your own grilles and bases. No mention of them there, but the mount pins look intact....]

Obsolete
    Yeah, they're upsidedown. Maybe they're afraid all the bass will run out of the ports onto the floor if they turn them the other way.

majick47

B380/b460

Outstanding replies re the JBL subs. I'll advise my brother that the consensus is two subs and the bigger the better. Unlike myself he has to deal with the "WAF". It might take a little more time to convince her that premium JBL sound isn't going to come out of little cubes. When the time is right another possible option is converting a surplus pair of L200b to quasi B380. Waiting to hear the results of the "quick and dirty 4430" options for the L200/L200b.

Good question...

I debated long on this one in my search for the ideal sub..the B460 always was my favorite, (it still is) but I couldn't ignore the stereo sub concept. I designed my system center around a single B460, (see my photos in the thread "weighing in on a few issues, L220 and B460") but I looked at two B380's on paper as well-they would have fit in the same space as a single B460. But there were some overriding issues; it would have made the hookup a bit more complex, how many and what amplifers to use, etc. And, how was I going to be lucky enough to FIND not one but TWO B380's? (the listing in this thread is the first time I've seen 2 for sale at once). But, I think the B460 in itself speaks for itself-it is one great sub, and the cabinet is gorgeous, and the 2245H driver in that 8 cubic foot enclosure is simply amazing. I have never been sorry for a minute that I went this way...good luck and I'm sure you will have a great time whichever way you go!

Best Regards,

Peter M.

P.S. Two B460's? Wow! I wouldn't have had the room to do that within the limitations of my room and the proposed design for my equipment center.
    And unless you have a REALLY large room, one B460 will do the job..but you do need a quality amplifier with ample power.

leif
    I have a B460, and are looking for a second one. So if you guys hear of one that is for sale....

The man I bought mine from had 2. But as he should move at that time, his new apartment was too small to have them both. My luck!

b-460

I have one b460 now you quys have me thinking about a secound one

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1
    And unless you have a REALLY large room, one B460 will do the job.
    Only if you are talking maximum SPL.

Always specify multiple subs. Two minimum regardless of room. If one can't fit two B460's, 4645C's or S1S's then scale down.

Perhaps you might summarize for them why this is so..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Only if you are talking maximum SPL.

Always specify multiple subs. Two minimum regardless of room. If one can't fit two B460's, 4645C's or S1S's then scale down.

Thread Information