Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighing in on a few issues, L220 and B460

Smile Weighing in on a few issues, L220 and B460

Hi all,
    I have just joined the site today and I am enjoying all of the discussions I have read so far. I'm a longtime JBL fan (My first JBL's were a pair of L100's). I have 4 systems in my home, and all except one use JBL speakers (and subs) exclusively. Tomorrow (March 18) marks the 23rd anniversary of my 1982 purchase of a pair of L220 Oracles. Mine are the "A" version, with the LE14H Low frequency drivers. I had the LE14's reconed in 2002. Also in 2002 I realized at long last my dream of adding a B460 Subwoofer to my main system to compliment the L220's. I felt that no other subwoofer would be as ideal a companion to the L220's. What a great combo! The trio produces tremendously warm, deep bass, great midrange, and beautifully sweet highs due to the L220's 076 Elliptical horn tweeter. I've read some interesting comments on the B460; one stated that the amplifier used with it is important to its performance. This is definitely true. I started out using a Hafler DH-500 (bridged) with decent results. Last year I upgraded the amp to a McIntosh MC252, (used in bridged mode) with superb results. (My L220 mains are driven by a McIntosh MC300 Amplifier). One member said his B460 sounded like a truck driving by outside. Sounds like he may have had some acoustical problems (or an amplifier that had poor control) muddying up the performance. I can assure you that, with proper room treatments and a quality amplifier with adequate power, the B460 will provide deep, effortless performance that few subwoofers can hold a candle to. I won my B460 in an eBay auction, ending my 18 year quest for this great sub, and I then built the system center that I had designed quite a long while prior to finally finding the sub. And yes, I gladly paid the shipping charges to have the B460 shipped to me here in Florida from Utah! (one member suggested that nobody would pay to ship this "obsolete beast" anywhere). Beast? Yes! Obsolete? No way! As most (if not all) of us JBL fans know, these early eighties JBL products are timeless.
    Best regards to all,

Peter Makres
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice , Very Nice !

- yep, the B460 is a very handsome addition

- I also like your use of acoustic foam, ( I'm assuming that's what I see ).

Dude, what planet did you drop in from? Where have you been? Nice setup, and welcome.

IOW, a fully-formed JBL-ophile drops in with a nicely done rig, and all without the help of this forum?! Looks great! You're THERE, man!

p.s. I spy the throne, don't act like it ain't there..............

RIP 2009
    Absolutely beautiful system! 'Amazing to even see the audio treatment on the walls! And JBL/McIntosh has always been a combination to die for...

John

Steve Gonzales

Oh yeah BABY!!!

Welcome to the LHS!. Yes Sir, you've got some dreamy stuff there. Thank you for posting pictures. Love it!

Thanks guys

Hi Earl and Mike,
    Thanks very much...I had visited the site in the past but didn't spend too much time in the forum section. Earl, you are correct, that is acoustic foam, which I do recommend highly. I designed and built these panels myself. I started using foam in 1992, but it was a tedious task, essentially pasting the foam squares (I was using 12" charcoal grey squares at that time) to the walls. So, when the time came that the faom was deteriorating and in need of replacement, I decided to build the panels so they could be easily removed from the walls when it came time to replace the foam. I also took it one step further-on the back side of the panels I have a layer of rubber/foam composite material to help block sound transmission through the walls. ( I live in an attached villa with neighbors on each side) The foam, and the "TF Sorb" used on the back side was purchased from Technifoam, Inc. in Minneapolis, MN. They have a good selection of styles, sizes and colors. I can provide you wityh an address if you like. The last time I looked, they did not have a website, though they may now.

Thanks again guys, I'll be visting and writing-and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,

Peter

OFD

I'm On My Knees

Welcome Sir! As soon as I stop crying and get up off my knees, I'll reassure myself that envy isn't all that bad a thing. You've done an amazing job, especially for one with side by side neighbors.

Sure why not drop some info for the foam shop in the twin cities

Foam

Hi John,
    I just took a look and I am pleased to report that the foam company that I have used (Tecnifoam) does have a website now.

Visit:

http://www.tecnifoam.com

Their address is: TECNIFOAM
    7145 Boone Ave. N.
    Minneapolis, MN 55428
    Phone (763) 537-7000 Fax (763) 535-1169

The contact person that I have dealt with is Tammy Ochs / Acoustical Products.

Best regards,

Peter

Note: On the original post there was a spelling error in the web address. This has now been corrected-Peter
    Last edited by pmakres1; 03-18-2005 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Corrected web address spelling

Cool I roll thru that area once a month at least, will drop in and check it out. Was thinking about some acoustic foam for a while but these guys are in my stomping grounds, very nice.

Can't seem to link to the site with that link???

Be sure to get the fireproof version, please....

Especially when I am spinning a great white CD

That's one sweet room ! I love the Mac gear....

jblnut

Welcome!

Thanks for the pics, it's a beautiful system. Obviously well thought out.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Thread Information