Thread: 604e Jimi Hendrix's speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

604e Jimi Hendrix's speakers

In the mid 70's I was working as a construction project egineer in NYC. I had just finished building the Sherry Netherlands Doubles Club Disco with a friend Winn Schwatau(a sound engineer). In 1974 or 75 (memories fade) we were called to survey Electric Lady Studios on 8th Street. To make a long story short, I obtained 2 Altec 604e's in 612 cabinets from ELS. I need to authenticate these speakers. From what I understand serial numbers were lost in an earthquake in 1993. Is that true? Does anyone out there know of where I might find a picture of Jimi with these speakers or a picture of them inside Electric Lady. Any other ways to authenticate them through Lansing documents? The speakers still sound awesome! I have been working on this matter for some time. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be more that grateful for some anwers or suggestions!

Thanks

Steve Gonzales

scuse me, while I kiss the sky!

Wecome to the LHS! point and click on this link :http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

Also, google "Getty images" , they might have what you need. Good luck with your search, these are just where I would start.

I think you are confusing Altec with JBL about the earthquake part. Hey I do not think they will sound any better if you had a picture of Jimi standing by the speakers, plus it would be hard to see the serial #'s in a photo to confirm if yours are the ones in the photo with Jimi

re:Jimi Henrix 604e

Dear Steve,
    Thanks for your suggestions about Great Plains Audio and Getty Images. I will let you know if I have any luck.

Regards,
    Bill

Steve Gonzales

$70,000

Bill, I was watching antiques roadshow and there was a guy that had an acoustic guitar that Jimi smashed and signed, they appraised it @ $70K!. I know you are probably not motivated PURELY by $$ and would like to document these as a historical item(s). Do you know that the #1 JH fan on the planet is Mr. Paul Allen, the Microsoft Billionaire?. He built the EMP experience in Seattle Wa. with the sole intent of showcasing Jimi's memorabilia to the tune of over 250 MILLION DOLLARS?!. Come to think of it, google that-EMP- and find the contact info and send them an email and discribe the wonderful Altec's you have and that they could very well have been the actual mixdown speaker that Jimi used and that you would appreciate any help in regards to authenticating them. Couldn't hurt, right?. Thank you for caring enough to go the extra mile to do this work, I commend you for it and again, best of luck in your endeavour, Steve G

Here is the EMP link: http://www.emplive.com/contact/index.asp

re:Jimi Hendrix 604es

Dear Steve,
    Thanks for your response! I too have seen Antique Roadshow! Some days ago, I e-mailed Gary Sohmers of the Wex Rex Gallery. He is often seen on the show. A rock memoribilia expert. His reply was enthusiastic and he offered to get them in a auction catalog, if I so desire to in the future. The way I look at it is if I can authenticate them; these speakers could be a piece of Altec and rock 'n roll history! I will contact Paul Allen ! Thanks for that suggestion, for sure!
    I did not see the exact show that you mentioned but I believe you. In 2003 Mitch Mitchell auctioned off a Marshall amp for over $59K. In addition, it would be a shame if these speakers became lost treasures. I have a very strong feeling that you may be right about how they were used. Let's face it , I was at Electric Lady Studios and I know where they came from. The sound engineer , that I mentioned I worked with was Winn Schwartau. He became a friend of John Lennon's among other famous rock figures. He is now a very radical author and speaker(check it out on the web). His father was a sound engineer and a record producer for Peter, Paul and Mary among others.
    Thanks once again for your kindness and interest, especially the Paul Allen suggestion. I will let you know if I make any progress! In the meantime, if you can think of any other solutions or just want to chat feel free !
    Regards,
    Bill,

Steve Gonzales

Real Deal

You are welcomed. I would try and see if [email protected] could somehow identify the vintage by the serial #'s. This suggestion is to gather pieces of the puzzle that ultimately anchors the weight of authenticity. Tell him what you have. I'd love to see some pictures too.

Thread Information