Thread: Tube amps for the iPod

Tube amps for the iPod

<hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> Was just emailed this link from a friend.
    Hi Fidelity Amplification for the iPod.
    Looks interesting...

http://www.psiberportal.com/psiberaudio/iPod_3.htm

"Utilizing a high quality KT88 in single ended mode to produce 15 watts of fluid musical power."

I have nothing to do with the company etc. except the desire to own the set up....Nice.....
    Steve

Cool

Totally nuts, and yet I now cannot live without it. I think a 4G iPod will look better, and with a hack for video I can use my iPod Photo in this rig as the world's smallest high end HT.

If only the preamp had a built in dock, it would be irresistible.
    Out.

Another goodie

Another goodie...
    triode tube based amplifier
    http://www.goldster-audio.com/concer...roduct.en.html

"The Concertino is available in Germany at € 3,200.-, including 16% sales tax."
    All that for an $500 iPod....WOW....

Worlds smallest HT...I love it....Titanium Dome

I did read about someone who put two iPod photos together in an old stereograph type of rig..... HT in stereo..... I can see it now...then for the sub, has to be one of those seat thumpers bolted to the chair....

Steve

Exclamation

This is freakin' insane.

Stop it, Steve!

Wait! Show me more!

No, stop it, Steve.

Wait, show me more.

No, stop it, Steve.

Wait, show me more.

No, stop it, Steve.

Wait, show me more.
    Out.

All I can say is thank god they are making that stuff in white.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    All I can say is thank god they are making that stuff in white.

Widget
    LOL
    Out.

I find this whole iPod thing fascinating. The whole idea of spending $400 on a small, fragile electronic device that will either get dropped, zapped or stolen is somewhat beyond me. As is the concept of then spending thousands on tube gear to try and gloss over the sonics that you lost in the first place. And who is going anywhere long enough that they need to take 10,000 songs with them ?

Call me a dinosaur but I'm perfectly happy to bring CD-R copies of my favorite CD's when I travel. This way I have all the bits (no compression) and I've invested a grand total of about $75 into a player and a stack of blanks. The whole thing fits into a nice Case Logic carrier about 5"x"5"x4". If it gets dropped or stolen I'm out a whole lot less.

I know about 5 people with iPods and 3 have already sent theirs back for repair because they died. One didn't understand the whole concept of backup and lost a lot of music too.

Until I can get my whole *uncompressed* collection onto something I can carry around, I'm going to wait this round of techo-buying out.

Actually I may wait even longer. I seem to have fallen in love with vinyl again. Who knew it could sound so good ?

jblnut

I have a portable HDD that I carry with me to friends homes and such. I have 12600 songs on 74 Gb of space. I bought a small mp3 player for 75 dollars and added 512 mb to it for 40 more so I can haul about 100 songs on it for 115 bucks. Small, light, 16 hour battery life, FM radio built in, perfect.

I agree that no one needs to carry 2 weeks straight of music with them and that HDD iPod really eats batteries. They are making them in CHina as fast as they can and quality is not what you would expect from apple.

Sad it is that a once great computer company like apple is reduced to making walkman players to stay in business. They use the same business model as well, hoping to control every aspect of the product from download , hardware and software in the hope people will only buy from them. I would sell the apple stock now while it is up, because it won't be for long.

Thread Information