Thread: 2328/2397 transition

jim henderson

2328/2397 transition

My 2397's have a 4.25" wide mouth and my 2328's have a 3.75" wide mouth. Shouldn't that transition be smoother?

Hmmmm... you seem to have a pair of each that are at the far end of their tolerance range. All of the 2328s I have measured have been under 4" (typically 3 15/16") except for the very early one I borrowed from Oldmics that was pre JBL Pro. It is an entirely different casting with the same internal geometry and a different external shape. It has an opening of exactly 1.375" by 4". The 2397s are supposed to be 4". I have noticed that they can vary and even the vanes can be mounted crookedly in the horns. When I did my research to generate the 3-D geometry for machining them I found that original JBL 2397s were not even axially symmetrical.

You have to remember that these were built pre CNC using templates and guides.

Widget

I had a group of 2397's that also were all over the map on width.

When I rebuilt them I used a sheet of 1/16 3 ply birch plywood that was machined with a router and gorilla glued them to the particle boardface. Then I used a file / filler ( if needed ) to make the transition to the horn sides smooth.

These were NOT held to a good tolerance - much like the particle board cabinets of the 70's...

sub.

jim henderson
    Here's the 2328's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Jim,

I am afraid there is little you can do. You do seem to have some parts that are at the fringe.

Are you happy with the sound? Realize there is a bit of a mid peak that is best tamed with delicate EQ to get the smoothest sound from the 2397s.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    The 2397s are supposed to be 4".
    I would like to make a partial retraction. While I do believe the JBL target was for a 4" throat opening on the 2397, I believe they are meant to be slightly over that dimension as you would never want the 2328's exit to be bigger than the 2397 throat opening.

I had measured several 2397s before generating these drawings... I recently dug them up for a fellow forum member and noticed the dimensions.

Widget

aust-ted
    Jim

Just had a thought from left field. How about using a piece of wood to as a transition piece fit between the 2328 and the 2395 with angled sides to the rectangular hole, like a thick gasket.

That would put the throat back about an inch. Would that pose a problem?

Regards
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by aust-ted
    Jim

Just had a thought from left field. How about using a piece of wood to as a transition piece fit between the 2328 and the 2395 with angled sides to the rectangular hole, like a thick gasket.

That would put the throat back about an inch. Would that pose a problem?

Regards
    Ted
    Here is a custom throat I have tested. It has a smoother response above 1500Hz than the 2328. There is a sacrifice in lower frequency performance.

Widget

For anyone wanting to build their own 2397s you can blow up these details to full scale and use them as templates along with the other drawings posted.

Widget

Thread Information