Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there ways to date JBL D130F speakers?

Question Are there ways to date JBL D130F speakers?

How are you?

I am new here but was directed from the fender forum to ask my question in this forum.
    I have a couple of JBL D130F guitar speakers that I would like to date but I would most like to know if these speakers are original or if they have been reconed. I bought them used in a Fender cabinet without the amp. It's a dual showman cabinet, 48 inches high. The decals on each speaker are numbered consecutively, 42119 and 42120 on the other speaker. In addition, there is a gray stamped number 21057 on the back of each speaker's cone, and there is a black ink stamp on the basket of both speakers in block letters that says Fender P/N 023101.

Thanks,
    Rick

Isn't someone going to let Rick in on "The Secret"?

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Isn't someone going to let Rick in on "The Secret"?
    As I recall, weren't all these older records lost in the Northridge earthquake a number of years back?

John

That's my understanding.

Welcome to Lansing Land!

If you post some photos of your D130Fs some of the sleuths here might be able to narrow them down for you...as for recone or original, there are some give aways, but typically you need to look at under side and look for glue residue or a wider than factory bead of glue around the dustcap.

Widget

Yeah, the cone number is a pretty good indicator.

If it has a "130-020" stamp on the backside of the cone, chances are either it's original, or it was reconed VERY early in its life. Either way, it's the RIGHT cone....

Also, I have a pair of D130s here... serial numbers 48084 and 48085... that I know were bought between late 1959 and early 1961. So, that can be a relative time indicator. Given how close your numbers are to mine, they HAVE to be probably within a year of the same age...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    That's my understanding.

Welcome to Lansing Land!

If you post some photos of your D130Fs some of the sleuths here might be able to narrow them down for you...as for recone or original, there are some give aways, but typically you need to look at under side and look for glue residue or a wider than factory bead of glue around the dustcap.

Widget
    Hi Mr. Widget,
    Thanks to you and to everyone for your resposes. My questions were some 30 years in comming. But when I tried to upload my photos of the JBL's I got the following error message:

File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 195.3 KB. Your file is 1.03 MB.

The photos are jpg. Is there some kind of file compression I can use here to upload the pics?

Rick

Resize them in your photo editor to 640 X 480 pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by horseshead
    File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 195.3 KB. Your file is 1.03 MB.
    The jpeg should be no wider than 800 pixels and if you use Photoshop, set the "Quality" to "High" and not "Maximum"... other software probably have similar designations... essentially if you have too much color info the file is too large for the system to support.

Widget

jbl-fender

jbl - fender twin 1980
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You'll have to give me a few hours. Right now I only have pictures of the back of the speakers. Also, I have to go to work and come home first.

Rick

Alright, first three pictures are of the top d130f. The last three pictures are of the bottom d130f. By the quality of the pictures are you guys able to tell whether or not they are originals or recones? I picked what I thought were the clearest pictures but I have others if these are not good enough.

Thank you, I've been wondering how to get "that sound" for the better part of 30 years until my favorite guitarist tipped me off on the famous d130, saying that he prefers the 12's (d120's). So, I couldn't afford them right away and wound up with a rebuilt pair.

Rick

The last three pictures didn't attach so I'll attach them now. Again they are the other d130 which is on the bottom portion of my cabinet.

Look at the difference in the condition of the screen/decal area. There looks like their might have been or is some liquid damage on the d130 at the bottom of the cabinet.

D130 late 50's

Here is a D130 removed from a late 50's guitar amp.
    From my experience I believe it has the original cone. Notice the "Jim Lansing"
    designation.

Referring back to an earlier discussion of Fender amps equipped with JBL's, they had an "F'' suffix attached . According to Harvey Gerst, Fender started to offer JBL's during the introduction of their Showman series in '61, so....I would date your D130'S from '61 until the introduction of the next series(E?).

RBH

I can see that it looks like JBL used a single "ring" cone kit which was rated only 25 or 30 watts although easily capable of handling 50. This is what I have been told by my D120F reconer, who said he used to work for JBL. And that a two-piece cone came soon after JBL started making the D130 for Fender, to provide a 100-watt version power handling by adding a separate cloth surround instead of the paper cone comming all the way out to the edge of the basket. It was done originally for Dick Dale, so that he wouldn't have to worry about blowing the speakers every time he played and it became the standard version of the speaker that people use when discussing "the classic" D130. As I mentioned a couple of posts up, I had a couple of these rebuilt (not original) by Wesley Music in a D120 version. Anyone else have the same information?

Rick

Thread Information