Thread: Audio Amplifier Review: PSS 600 Yuri Gutsatz Realisation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Audio Amplifier Review: PSS 600 Yuri Gutsatz Realisation

This new thread will be dedicated to a review of the PSS 600 audio amplifier.

The product is distributed in Australia by NET and is manufactured in France.

When the amplifier arrived, my first impression was this amp is heavy and opening the carton revealed a well packaged product.(15 kg)

The amplifier is supplied with a quality printed manual detailing the main specifications and product features.

This model, the PSS 600 has a gain of 31 db with an input sensitivity of 1 volt, input impedance of 20k ohms, damping factor of >250 (8 ohms), distortion @1000 hz less than 0.009% and is rated at 300 watts @4 ohms, and 150 watts @8 ohms.

The chassis has a solid feel, its made of powder coated pressed steel, the front panel is designed for rack mounting and has handles to assist installation.

On the front panel is a large power switch, independent level attenuators for each channel and a row of LED's indicators ,4 red, 2 yellow, 2 blue to show the status of the amplifier.

The rear panel is populated with professional Neutrik XLR balanced inputs and Speakon output sockets.

The ventilation system is unique.

Central within the chassis is a fan which draws air in from the front and rear of the amplifier over a special aluminium extrusion containing the MJ15024 Bipolar T03 output devices.

The fan does make some background noise but this is unlikely to be a concern in a professional environment.

Taking off the top cover shows this amplifier is all about quality and precision.

The components and the manner of assembly are of a very high standard not normally found in domestic HiFi equipment. The twin power transformers are very large and the power supply has ample supply filtration.

These images give some indication of the PSS 600.

My impression is this amplifier has evolved over a long period and shows great attention to detail in its design and construction. The PSS600 solidly made and has a unique quality that can only be found in products made in Europe.

Ian Mackenzie
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Its 9.30am in the morning here and I've had the amp warming up for about 2 hours. I am not a morning person so it will really take something to impress me.

Probably the most powerful thing I can say at is point about the PSS600 is that is will make many JBL owners re appraise their much loved, and in some instances much hated speakers.

By this I mean it will show your JBL's for what they really are.

For a long time I held the belief that for what ever reason JBL's sounded often overly bright, fatiguing for long term listening or were just too in your face until I came to the realisation that most mass market amps are crap. They really are. This became a fact when I started using a well known hi end amplifier and realised there is absolutely nothing wrong with JBL speakers at all, and at that point I discarded the thought of ever using a mass produced amp again.

Well the PSS600 defies the odds and is a standout in the crowd on its sonic virtues.

Playing a familiar DVD (DTS), Eric Claptons "One More Car One More Rider" Track 4 Tears in Heaven, the vocals are absolutely pure, the rhythm and pace of the guitar and drums toe tapping.

Track 5 Bell Bottom Blues, the space of individual instruments is clear and pure, and the snare sounds just as it should, like a snare. The PSS600 is the ideal partner for your home digital mastering Lab.

Do I see any reason for disconnecting the PSS600, absolutely not.

Well done Yuri.

Ian Mackenzie

If anyone would like to ask any questions or make comment please post.

I am happy to answer even theoretical questions or issues related to the review.

Ian

Some thoughts from the US...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    If anyone would like to ask any questions or make comment please post.

I am happy to answer even theoretical questions or issues related to the review.

Ian
    Well, hopefully the flames have died down from my earlier questions about how to hook this amp up to consumer gear (sheesh..what a thread). I've had adequate opportunity to audition this amp now and I'm ready to offer some of my views and opinions.

Some things to keep in mind as you read this which might prevent another outbreak of insanity:

1) I am a home user, not a music production studio. I had to buy some adapters (with my own money I might add) to give this amp a listen. Whether or not you believe they might affect the sound is up to you...

2) You cannot A/B two amps without having to spend a few minutes moving the connections between the two. It makes direct comparisons (like between CD and LP) very difficult.

3) The fan is NOISY in the home environment. I'll say this in the nicest way I can - I've been making custom PC's for about 10 years now and why this supposed wonder of European engineering and craftsmanship doesn't have a $2 thermo controlled fan (that's QUIET at idle) is way beyond me. I have to imagine that not every pro studio is going to love this extra noise either.

4) Still on the subject of cooling, shouldn't all rack-mounted devices get fresh air from the front panel and exhale is it through the rear ? This top input would be mostly blocked in a full rack and seriously impede cooling I would say.

5) It was bad enough coming from Yuri, but you too Ian ?

I quote "The PSS600 solidly made and has a unique quality that can only be found in products made in Europe. "

Does that unique quality extend to the flimsy and unsubstantial level pots on the front panel ? Or the half-baked cooling setup ? My meter is pegged....

So, how does it sound, compared to a 20-year old Yamaha pro amp through some L250's ? Very good in fact. It has great reserves of power and is very good at revealing the details of the source material. It doesn't impart any unique sound of it's own and it never misbehaved.

In other words, it's a quality transistor amp that - to me at least - does nothing special to differentiate it from the Yamaha I already have. I wanted to get into the loop on this amp eval to see if I could hear any difference between this highly regarded, state of the art studio amp, and the $200 ebay bargain I've had for years. I have to say that there wasn't much of a difference - which is good. I should be fair and say that the Yamaha was $3k in its day and is twice the amp physically that the PSS is. That the PSS compared as well as it did (being less powerful - and I drove them both hard) says a lot about Yuri's design. I'm sure he hasn't 1/1000 the resources of a large corporation
    like Yamaha.

In conclusion, I'd have to say that - for me - amps are not "as signifigant as you might think" to quote Yuri. The other new addition to my system last week was a beautiful Yamaha PX-2 turntable, also from the early 80's. This $1200 (in 1981) 45lb cast aluminum wonder made a GIANT difference in sound over the Luxman PD-264 I was using (which wasn't exactly a piece of junk). I've been spinning nothing but vinyl since I got it and it may be some time before I listen to digital again. It's that good and the difference was immediate and obvious.

I do have one question for you Ian - I love that Clapton DVD too and I'm wondering how you were able to listen to a 5.1 channel DTS disc with this 2-channel amp ? Were you just listening to the PCM stereo track on the DVD ? Were you only powering the mains of your HT setup with the PSS? I'm just curious what the actual setup was....

So - who's next on the USA tour of this white wonder ? I would prefer an East Coast shipment if possible to minimize shipping costs.

jblnut

Well you appear to have used this as an opportunity to post your own review of the amp you (which is not identical to this one) have . Would it be more appropriate to do that in another thread?

Regards 5) It was bad enough coming from Yuri, but you too Ian ?
    I will refer this to an engineer with 25 years installation experience.

About the DVD I mixed the 5.1 down to 2 channels used the DVD's setup.

I have found similar pots in $10,000 mixing consoles, a firm or heavy torque is no indication of electrical quality imho.

The amp meets CE standards which is not easy to obtain. However perhaps your question on the cooling would better to referred to the manufacturer.

Ian

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    JBLnut:

Most proamps exhaust to the front. .
    The only amp I've ever owned the has a similar cooling system is a Crown Macrotech 1200. It will intake air from the front and vent to the sides. It's a great amp. It's been "giggin'" for over 16 years. I have had problems with the fan shaking loose from its housing. Make a real ugly noise and takes about a half-hour to tear apart and fix.

This message comes from JBL Dog

Thread Information