Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Concert DVD's

Favorite Concert DVD's

Mine is Eric Clapton's "Live on tour 2001". The performance is excellent and the sound is quite good.

Does anyone have some other suggestions? I am looking for a great show with equally good sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 4345
    Mine is Eric Clapton's "Live on tour 2001". The performance is excellent and the sound is quite good.

Does anyone have some other suggestions? I am looking for a great show with equally good sound quality.
    You would probably like the John Mayall 70th birthday concert. Excellent sound, and Clapton is on it too.

Peter Gabriel Secret World and Steely Dan Two Against Nature are a couple of keepers. Neil Youngs Greendale DTS 24/96 surround mix is scary. Like having the band in your livingroom.

Rob

Hi Rob Is that Neil Young a new release? What,s the running time on the concert without the extra,s???

It's not a concert it's the Greendale album as a music video in surround. That's the best way to explain it. Like his last tour the album with sets/characters and band in his barn just playing. It is live with overdubs just like the album. Basically it "is" the album but in high res surround and it sounds just great better than the CD. The clarity and definition is impresive.

Rob

Ditto on the Steely Dan Two Against Nature DVD!

Old news, but The Eagles Hell Freezes Over concert DVD is also excellent! The audio and video quality is among the best I've heard and seen.
    David

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dryden
    Old news, but The Eagles Hell Freezes Over concert DVD is also excellent!
    Yeah, but could they show a little excitement? I haven't watched it forever but I remember seeing part of it and thinking they were heavily sedated.

I'll add my recommendation for the Eagles DVD. It was very well, very expensively done and it makes a great system demo disc.

Also along that line is James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theatre".

I've always adored the first Norah Jones DVD, and am coming to enjoy the new one just as much.

The "America: A Tribute to Heroes" post 9-11 fund raiser has many (not all) great performances and excellent sound.

"Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live" was recorded last year at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. It is a great demo disc, and a joy from start to finish.

Keb' Mo's DVD from the Sessions at West 54th series is another winner- stellar musicians and sound.

The "Reverend Horton Heat Live and In Color" DVD is definitely not audiophile sound quality, but the beyond-exhuberent psycho-rockabilly performances and stage antics have brought many grins to my living room. This guy is a fantastic guitarist... crank it up!

Check here....

Quote Originally Posted by 4345

We covered many of these in a previous thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...referrerid=196

Basically, anything with a DTS soundtrack (on a good system) is going to sound head and shoulders better than Dolby Digital. That being said, sometimes the material transcends the format as is the case with Pink Floyd's "Pulse" which is very enjoyable despite being essentially a bootleg transfer from the LD.

I just got the Clapton "Crossroads" DVD set and there are some great moments in there. It's hard to condense 2 days of music into 2 DVD's but you do get to see some great performances.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Yeah, but could they show a little excitement? I haven't watched it forever but I remember seeing part of it and thinking they were heavily sedated.
    Yeah, you have to understand that's just the way they are. No nonsense, just music. They were once described by a critic as "loitering on stage"... Personally, I prefer them that way. I am more interested in what they sound like, rather than what they look like anyway.
    David

JBLGUY
    Try checking out John Fogerty's DVD concert. old CCR ...kind of

Great sound and great music. Everyone that I have played it for thought it was very good

If you like the BeeGees, and I do, then One Night Only is a decent listen/view. It's likely the last thing you'll see with all three BeeGees together, and they still had most of their power.

Plus, my GF likes to play it a lot.
    Out.

majick47

Another "One Night Only"

"One Night Only/ Rod Stewart/ Live at Royal Albert Hall". All around excellent audio/video, beats BeeGees and Eagles if your looking for a live performance with real energy/excitement. So far everyone that has seen/listened to this dvd has not been disappointed.

My current favorite

My Current DVD Concert Favorite is the Concert for George DVD (after you get through the Sitar music). It was co-produced by Eric Clapton and Jeff Lynne, of ELO and Traveling Wilbury fame, and is encoded in DTS-5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0. From the back cover:

"On November 29, 2002-one year after the passing of music legend George Harrison-wife Olivia Harrison and longtime friend Eric Clapton organized a performance tribute in his honor. Held at London's Royal Albert Hall, the momentous evening featured George's songs, and music he loved, performed by an all-star lineup that included Clapton, Jools Holland, Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Monty Python, Tom Petty, Billy Preston, Ravi and Anoushka Shankar, Ringo Starr, and many more. "

I don't think it was Eric Clapton's intent, but some of the songs IMHO may be better than the original George Harrison versions. Sound production is very good.

RacerXtreme

Lynyrd Skynyrd and Aerosmith

How about the new "Viscious Cycle" tour on DVD by Lynyrd Skynyrd ? Ricky Medlocke and the boys jam. Excellent sound and video editing. Can't believe they didn't put "Saturday Night Special" on it..... Grade: A-

And how about the new Aerosmith DVD "Gotta Move" w/ some songs from the new CD - "Honkin on Bobo" ? It's probably the cleanest, clearest, best sounding DVD I've ever seen. Grade: A+

Guy

Thread Information