Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2397 baffle

jim henderson

2397 baffle

The 2397 data sheet says "recommended cylindrical baffle at least 3 inches above and below the mouth." I haven't seen any discussion here of such a baffle, I've only read of this horn being used in a free-standing configuration or mounted on a flat baffle. Would this horn benefit from a cylidrical baffle?

I have wondered about that too. I assumed it was meant as a recommendation to somehow maximize vertical dispersion.

That combined with aesthetics is why I made my 2397 clones a bit taller. When I mocked them up digitally I found 3" looked butt ugly so I blew that off.

I believe the primary difference is improved vertical dispersion. A problem that I didn't feel needed fixing as I am a "sweet spot" listener. Stupidly I never compared my 2397 clones with the real deal in regards to vertical dispersion.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I am a "sweet spot" listener.
    Our task is to assist Mr. Widget in rediscovering the unique pleasures of constant directivity.

aust-ted
    Jim

I have also been wondering about that. I note that a lot of 2397 installations including some I have seen here appear to have the 2397 built into a flat baffle with the curved part sticking out like a pair of lips (eg like the one Ken Pachkowsky uses as his signature pic). Is this what JBL meant by a "recommended cylindrical baffle at least 3 inches above and below the mouth." or did they truly mean a cylindrical baffle? I have never seen a pic of such a beast.

Regards
    Ted

Nice horns Widget.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by aust-ted
    I have also been wondering about that. I note that a lot of 2397 installations including some I have seen here appear to have the 2397 built into a flat baffle with the curved part sticking out like a pair of lips (eg like the one Ken Pachkowsky uses as his signature pic). Is this what JBL meant by a "recommended cylindrical baffle at least 3 inches above and below the mouth." or did they truly mean a cylindrical baffle? I have never seen a pic of such a beast.

They mean something like this.

Here is a shot of 2397 horns in an installation that the original designer of the horn is using. I would guess he knows how to get the most out of them. Actually he does... he gave me a couple of pointers which did prove useful.

Widget

paragon

Baffle

Look this,

jim henderson
    What were the pointers?

I can't give away all the secrets.

There wasn't a one size fits all, do this and the horn is better solution. If it were that simple we'd change it and market it.

Widget

John Y.

Here's a curved front design

Quote Originally Posted by aust-ted
    Jim

Is this what JBL meant by a "recommended cylindrical baffle at least 3 inches above and below the mouth." or did they truly mean a cylindrical baffle? I have never seen a pic of such a beast.

Ted
    Ted,

I went through an exercise a while back in a thread I started called
    Gone are the 'gons, but why?
    In this I showed a concept of a 2397 mated with a metregon-like cylinder which I thought was really cool. It was for a center HT speaker, which I dubbed the "Centregon". A comment was made that I should turn it upside down, but the reviewer didn't understand that I was trying to make a system to fit on the top of a large RPTV, so I needed the horn at the bottom. He sent back an upside down image of my front drawing. I think this would be a wonderful solution for the case where the center would be mounted under the TV display.

Someday I may construct this concept when I change TVs. Meanwhile, there is not enough room above my RPTV sice my back wall slants forward 45 deg. starting 6" above the TV and I could not fit the design into that constraint. My current "Centreflex" design will, and is modular so that I can at least try out a 2397, though probably with less than 3" high lips. I expect to post my centreflex in a few days on a new thread.

John Y.

Quote Originally Posted by John Y.
    I expect to post my centreflex in a few days on a new thread.
    Cool!!!

Widget

paragon

Baffle

Isn`t it, that a horn has a lower cutoff and a smoother response with a baffle ?

Eckhard

paragon

Time

Ich hab alle Fehler gemacht ! (Marius Müller Westernhagen). = Made all mistakes!
    Time is running out. Only five minutes.

Eckhard

Thread Information