Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No more big studio loudspeakers anymore?

Niklas Nord

No more big studio loudspeakers anymore?

Many years ago, there was big studio loudspeakers made by JBL, now they are so very very small Why?

I mean loudspeakers like the 4355, now we have the LSR -series.
    Or have I missed something on their website?

Dynacoman
    I suspect WAF and wimpy husbands.

dancing-dave
    Also wimpy designers and engineers.

most Studios have gone to powered nearfield Monitors

Lightbulb I suspect...

...Better engineering, more knowledgeable design, superior drivers, advancing technology, more effective enclosures, newer materials, and better electronics.

Oh yeah, PLUS male consumers being p-whipped, and engineers being limp-wristed pantywaists.
    Out.

The truth of the matter is most studios are going to small footprint self powered nearfield type monitors. Ask anyone in the studio equipment business. Nobody here on the coast is buying large format monitors anymore.

You would be hard pressed to find large format mains in the "Major" studios around LA. Everyone is going with smaller footprint self powered mains. I have been to 2 major studios in the last month who's main control rooms are using small format 3 way Genelec's. I kid you not. The bass sounds like a mic'd cardboard box with someone kicking it. They are however capable of withstanding huge spl's. It's a bloody shame is what it is. As much as I hate most rap crap, just listen to the kit. Horrible, synthetic, digital junk!

Thats my 2 cents.

Ken

Alan Fletcher
    >>"I have been to 2 major studios in the last month who's main control rooms are using small format 3 way Genelec's. I kid you not. The bass sounds like a mic'd cardboard box with someone kicking it. They are however capable of withstanding huge spl's. It's a bloody shame is what it is. As much as I hate most rap crap, just listen to the kit. Horrible, synthetic, digital junk!"<<

Wow, Ken. Tell us how you really feel.

Seriously, you're right. I still can't understand why everyone seems to think the Genelecs are the cat's meow. I personally think they are an overpriced,yet average sounding powered monitor. I'm not crazy about them and I think one could do better (especially for the money) with the Mackie 824's if that's the monitoring route you want to go.

As far as (c)rap "music" is concerned, all the digitized garbage that has taken the place of real musicians and the people who really know how to play them- that junk has migrated to nearly all genres of music. Such is life (sigh).

-A

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    As much as I hate most rap crap, just listen to the kit. Horrible, synthetic, digital junk!
    Ya' know what's even more a shame? The main clientele at the studio in Oakland where my friend is head engineer is rap and hip-hop, (even a muslim hip-hop artist that has to take prayer breaks several times each session!!), and they actually have JBL DMS-1 monitors! http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ighlight=dms-1

What a waste...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Fletcher
    Wow, Ken. Tell us how you really feel.
    Yes, it was a bit strong but HONEST!

Have a good one...

Ken

pelly3s
    Well you can get some huge Dynaudio monitors the M4+ but it's an extremely expensive way to go for anything. I wish JBL would come up with something like the K2's for a studio I didnt see any future plans for one this weekend at AES either but i did get to listen to LSR6328's in 5.1 and it was killer

Niklas Nord
    I don´t like genelec. The Genelec´s, big and small that I have heard - all had some kind of distorsion/harschness in the top, and the imaging wasn´t there. All this in nice rooms with all kinds of correct built acoustic threatment, walls and so on..

JBL DMS-1, maximum SPL 130db, and with really low distorsion, yes it would be someting. but whait, I have the DMS-1 @ home, almost

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Nord
    Many years ago, there was big studio loudspeakers made by JBL, now they are so very very small Why?

Well people like Tad and Westlake still market LFM systems, although they are probably flagships that pull in core business in the smaller systems.

I think it would be a real design challenge to design a small/ medium format monitor that could match a large format system.

Years ago (1975) an AWA scientist over here designed a system called the Duplex driver monitor. It had more and lower bass than a Tannoy Arden by using dual Coral long throw 8 inch woofers in a back to back duplex configuration tuned to a particular TS alignment. The total box volume was only 3 cuft 3 but it had an f3 of 27 hertz. It was a three way with time aligned passive crossover.

I imagine a system using say dual JBL 2235 configured the same way (1/2 ing the VAS) would occupy a similarly small foot print, add a 2123 mid cone and wave guide horn and way to go Sam.

Physical size is only the illusion of big sound, its the bass extension and lack of power compression makes the big boxes sound big.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie

Physical size is only the illusion of big sound, its the bass extension and lack of power compression makes the big boxes sound big.
    Another nice truism that I hadn't seen put quite so succinctly before; therefore, to answer the original question, if a smaller system gives bass extension (maybe with subs) and lacks compression, then no need for a large box..............

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Nord

Hi everybody.

I was discussing this with some people in the business a few years ago, and was told that when a record is made, the tecnician did not need a large speaker because he knew what it would sound like when played on a large speaker. I told him this sounds like "crap" to me. However, he ageed with me in that in the final mastering a big speaker was needed to really hear the result. (So much for small speakers)

I have been looking around several of studio web sites, and find that many still uses large monitores. Many even uses JBL 4333, 4343 and 4350 today, others use B&W Nautilus and other brands. You have to search their information very closly to find this info.

BUT: the most just use, as pointed out in this thred, small self-powerd monitors like Genelec....Why do you thing that most "newer" cd's sound like "crap" today? The really serious one, like Telarc, uses "real stuff" and I believe they will still do it in the future.

What to do? listen to the cd at your own place before you buy it. Any serious record dealer will be happy to let you do it. I have such a agreement with my record shop, as he know I would never make a copy and NEVER play a burned cd on my system.

Rolf

the lust for small space,salesclowns,and the ghost of auratones
    (horrortones)

and an uneducated populace

http://gearslutz.com/board/archive/i...hp3/t-860.html

http://www.prodistroaudio.com/page17.html

why pay $300 to hear what tv speakers sound like,

when a tv for less than $100 will do?

http://www.smurphco.com/articles-tvtech-triplep.html

Thread Information