Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate CD-player!?

I am currently seeking the 1001 models.

Widget

dblaxter
    hi all,

i have the PS1 ,the 1001 ,also had a jbl dvd600 that was broken ,i used the copper shielding from that unit to shield the power unit in the PS1 more then enough material to encase the power unit top ,bottom and sides , well its all complete and being used , i have a technics slp1200 to do a a/b compare, and i must say it sounds every bit as good ,and better at some points so if you are looking for a cd unit for a cheap to free price ,there you have it ,as far as a compare to your normal cd players there is none ,the converted PS1 is the way to go, so thank you to all who contributed to this thread ,and if you have not purschased your new ps1 cd player ,what are you waiting for its just about free for a super unit

...will be getting a SCPH1001 this weekend. With luck I'll have time to give it a whirl next week and get back here with my impressions.

Widget

gary
    I just found an scph1001 that came with original box and instructions. I was surprised to see directions for using it as a cd player. However, since this was 1995, it only shows hook up to the tv or vcr. Home theater was in its infancy. I guess nobody at sony ran it through an amp with good speakers. Also the instructions show how to operate the cd via the game controller w/o a tv monitor. would have provided a copy, but my scanner is on the fritz. probably can download it from sony. gary.

pangea

PS1 impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    ...will be getting a SCPH1001 this weekend. With luck I'll have time to give it a whirl next week and get back here with my impressions.

Widget
    Hi Mr. Widget!

Have you had a chance to listen to the PS1 yet?

I'm anxiously awaiting your response.

/Roland

You know, I picked one up a week ago but haven't yet plugged it in... been too busy. I'll certainly post my impressions once I've had a chance to listen.

Widget

Dave G

Scph 1002

I picked one up today for £4.

I hope this idea doesn't leak if the player is a good one. Certainly good enough for workshop I'm sure.

Question

Being an audiophile illiterate, I have a question. I have a PS1 model spch1001. I like the sound and I may get more for my other systems. Why do you recommend shielding the power supply? Also, since I wouldn't know how to, how
    could I get someone to do it without it costing an arm & leg?

Ernest

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestsk
    Being an audiophile illiterate, I have a question. I have a PS1 model spch1001. I like the sound and I may get more for my other systems. Why do you recommend shielding the power supply? Also, since I wouldn't know how to, how
    could I get someone to do it without it costing an arm & leg?

Ernest
    Hi Ernest!

Very welcome to the forum! Hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. This is absolutely the best forum on the entire Internet, IMO and even more so, if you're smitten by the Lansing stuff!

There is always the possibility that the tweaking makes it easier for you to believe how good they really are. That said, I'm not so sure you could hear the difference in a blind test, so perhaps you should just hook it up and play your favorite music as is.

BR
    Roland

Thumbs up

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I wanted to hear. Nothing for me to do.
    I plan on AB test in the near future. Right now I think am hearing more details than I've heard before. Works for me, especially the price.

Ernest

Dave G

Sony Sounds

It sounds very good!

Not being a fan of the silver disc that it is not a absolute answer. In fact I own very few CD's of quality productions. I can say that it sounds better than a Pioneer CDJ 500 player which is a verry average sound machine. Need to put it against some £1000 models, further impressions to follow.

Dave

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave G
    It sounds very good!

Not being a fan of the silver disc that it is not a absolute answer. In fact I own very few CD's of quality productions. I can say that it sounds better than a Pioneer CDJ 500 player which is a verry average sound machine. Need to put it against some £1000 models, further impressions to follow.

Dave
    Hi Dave!

I'm sure the PS1 will stand it's ground against very expensive CD players as well.

Last weekend I went to a gathering held by a Swedish forum where I'm a member as well, and brought my PS1 along for a comparison against a Audionet VIP, which is considered to be fairly competitive.
    Needless to say, the PS1 wasn't the looser.

Many others have also come to the same conclusion, whatever they have compared it to, so it's quite fair to say IMHO, that the PS1 digs deeper, has absolutely no jitter, is more detailed and provides a more calm soundstage, even when compared to mega $$$ players.

BR
    Roland
    Last edited by pangea; 05-11-2005 at 11:06 PM. Reason: err

Dave G

Sony

Hello Roland

I will be adding shielding once I find some suitable material. Its another job on the list.

Dave

Figge
    now this is the kind of thread that makes us audiofreaks suspisious...i didnt believe a word of this, but i knew i had a old ps1 lying in the basement,(turns out it was a SPCH-1002) and thought heck i just gotta try this out! so i did and now i can only confirm pangea´s story. ps1 is the best sounding cd-player ive heard, i still have some trouble accepting this fact. how a ugly old toy can make those 4430:s sing. simply amazing!

Sony

It has been a not-so-well documented fact that many people use sony Transports because they tend to be very good.
    I also heard that if you go thru a inexpensive sony and tighten up all inside you will hear a BIG differance.
    Sounds good to me!

Thread Information