Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate CD-player!?

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Just picked up a 1001 for 12.00 on Ebay. Is there an english version on paper, of the mods that should be done to turn this into a first class cd player?

Will get back to you with my impressions.

Ken
    From #13:

I've used a thin copper sheet, which I've cut up.
    One of the pieces I've placed underneath, with a wire soldered to it and connected it to the rest of the other shielding. It's also important to cut off any long residual legs sticking out under the board and just to be safe, I've also put some extra insulation between the copper and the board. Then the more difficult piece to cut, is the one that goes between the power supply and the main-board. I've used one of the screws to fasten it, but be VERY careful so that the copper doesn't come in contact with any live parts like the fuse-holder!!!
    I've killed one motherboard that way!

Although the best thing to do, would probably be, to put everything in a new (MDF) box.

BR
    Roland

EDIT:
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-31123.html
    http://www.musicconnection.de/pdf/dynastation_GB.pdf
    http://www.playfidelity.com/
    http://www.methe-family.de/cd.htm (German)
    http://www.musicconnection.de/ (German)
    http://www.audio-tuning-tools.de/pla...xpo%20horn.htm (German)
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Last edited by pangea; 03-29-2005 at 01:08 AM. Reason: add

I tried out my SCPH 1001 last night. It does sound GOOD. Thanks to all for the tips and direction to try these units out. I gave $37.00 for mine (Ebay). They must be catching on as a CDP, or maybe the fact that mine came with all the wires, 3 controllers (one is the type that shakes in the buttons), and 20 or so, games. Thanks again!!!

I went ahead and secured my scph-1001 via ebay...$14
    check out this auction description...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

better get yours before it's too late

pangea
    OK, perhaps I should ask the guy for a comission or something?

BR
    Roland

"It uses a 32 bit DSP, because it has to be able to handle graphics as well and when it's used only for audio, there's plenty of muscles left.

And most importantly, how does it sound?

VERY open, airy, detailed and powerful, and a lot of other things, but I'll stop there..."

Well... I am pretty skeptical. Isn't the audio portion still only running 16 bit? There would be no reason that a gaming device would upsample the audio.

I am curious... has anyone actually compared one to a Wadia CD player or a dcs Elgar upsampled player, or are we hearing, "It's great! It's way better than my $150 Sony."

Widget

Mr. Widget, one of the CDPs I have is a high buck Denon (I ain't putting down the price, my wife might walk behind me). The first disc I tried on the PS1 (SCPH1001) was Carly Simon's You're so Vain. Gasp, did you here that, for the first time ever, I heard her softly say "Son of a gun" at the very beginning of the song. I've never noticed/heard that with the Denon. The PS1 sounds like it's "Tube filtered", to me. It sounds closer to a "LP" sound. I tried out "Comfortably Numb", again WOW, listen to all the range. Hey for less than a tank of gas, give it a spin. You can always play "Tomb Raider" if it doesn't fit the bill...

RIP 2009
    A friend just gave me an SCPH101 - I take it this is newer and less than optimal? I guess I can at least plug it in and see how it sounds...for free, what can I say...

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    "It uses a 32 bit DSP, because it has to be able to handle graphics as well and when it's used only for audio, there's plenty of muscles left.

VERY open, airy, detailed and powerful, and a lot of other things, but I'll stop there..."

Well... I am pretty skeptical. Isn't the audio portion still only running 16 bit? There would be no reason that a gaming device would upsample the audio.

I am curious... has anyone actually compared one to a Wadia CD player or a dcs Elgar upsampled player, or are we hearing, "It's great! It's way better than my $150 Sony."

Widget
    Not long ago I had a home audition of a Shanling CD player. The dealer also had with him an Esoteric P0/DCS Elgar/DCS Delius combo for comparison. (he had just collected it after being on loan for demo). My reference is my EMT 930st & TSDsfl vinyl setup. The Shanling was not even close but the Esoteric/DCS gear was pretty amazing but way out of my price league.
    Having now tried a PS1 I can only say it had the same impact as the Hi End gear. The detail is superb and the width and breadth of soundstage is better than the Esoteric/DCS. Its not a direct AB comparison but I can only say thet I am more than pleased with the PS1 and it only cost pennies in comparison to the other stuff.(does'nt look as good though)
    One little nitpicking correction.....The DCS Elgar is a DAC, its the Delius that upsamples

Sounds interesting...

Well... any more comments? I am certainly intrigued. I suppose I could get one of the ugly gray plastic players and give it a shot... I'd love to hear more from those that are enjoying their PS1s first.

Widget

Well... any more comments? I am certainly intrigued. I suppose I could get one of the ugly gray plastic players and give it a shot... I'd love to hear more from those that are enjoying their PS1s first.

Widget
    As you know, I just got a 1001 off Ebay but did not get a chance to play with it before I left. Be carefull announcing your interest, others may pass judgement.

Ken

Best way is to try it and judge your own ears.

Oddly, A few years ago chip processors were expensive parts, but not now and in an item like this where mass marketing is priced to sell on mass.

If it were re marketed and re packaged on the UK Hifi market it might sell for $1000 who knows??.

Ian

pangea

Maybe it was just a lucky shot

Widget
    Hi widget!

I'm truly sorry I can't explain exactly why it sounds that good, but since the sounding differences are that big, between older and newer models, which as far as I know have the same DSP, it might be that the main reasons will be found in what actually does differ and that the early designs were so much more developed and thought through and that the combination of a number of changes/cost savings, resulted in a kind of lucky shot in the early models, which then were lost somehow.

I only know now, what "Jitter" sounds like, since it's gone now, after having put my Sony SACD in to early retirement.

Why don't you just get one and try it for your self, unless you don't trust me and those who say it's great.
    It's not that big of an investment and it doesn't happen that often that the saying "Not much to loose but everything to win", applies that well, I would say.

BR
    Roland

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Best way is to try it and judge your own ears.

Oddly, A few years ago chip processors were expensive parts, but not now and in an item like this where mass marketing is priced to sell on mass.

If it were re marketed and re packaged on the UK Hifi market it might sell for $1000 who knows??.

Ian
    Knowing Sony and other large companies, it wouldn't surprise me a bit, if it would resurface as a CD-player costing even $2000 or more.

/Roland
    Last edited by pangea; 04-12-2005 at 01:06 AM. Reason: corr

Andywin is saying all the right things, but I am still skeptical. Of course as you have pointed out, it is a very inexpensive experiment so I guess I'll have to get one and find out for myself. When I do I'll post my impressions... of course! It's not like I have been known to be quiet about much.

Widget

pangea
    Andywin is saying all the right things, but I am still skeptical. Of course as you have pointed out, it is a very inexpensive experiment so I guess I'll have to get one and find out for myself. When I do I'll post my impressions... of course! It's not like I have been known to be quiet about much.

Widget
    I'll be waiting for your report, only, make sure you get one of the oldest models.

BR
    Roland

Thread Information