Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate CD-player!?

ehh

so, how did this thread sneak by me for so long
    I even have a 1001, gonna have to hook it up now

analogman

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by readswift View Post
    and you analogman don't dare to ask anything from me, you introduced yourself pretty much to not count on me, thanks .

Well, it appears you've ALMOST solved your problem of how to get some pussy to eat. Great job, you're nearly there!
    Now you don't need my help.
    Analogman

analogman
    Quote Originally Posted by wd4090 View Post
    ehh

so, how did this thread sneak by me for so long
    I even have a 1001, gonna have to hook it up now

Go for it, you may be very surprised and pleased. Definitely worth the few minutes required for the experiment. The link they gave further back is excellent. I'm in the process of tweaking mine. Picked up a remote and receiver sensor for $5.00 at a local game store. Glad to be rid of a 10 years old machine and it's inevitable break down while still recouping 50% of what I payed for it. And this sounds just as well (better, truthfully, to MY ears).
    Let me know what you think.

Analogman

C'mon guys, grow up ...
    Keep it civil, okay
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

from another forum

"Asked my analyzer and he told me:

Lots of harmonics, K3 = -39,5 dB as bad as TDA1543 and TDA1540.

Bad noise floor around -50 or -55 dB, don't remember."

those are the byproducts produced by a nice clean sine wave...
    are you listening to what was recorded? - no...
    euphonically pleasing? maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    C'mon guys, grow up ...
    Keep it civil, okay
    Yes, please.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

that "animal" is a frequent sight on another top tier forum , prodigy-pro , dunno whats wrong )

I picked up a 1001 with the analog outs and it made some clicking noises when trying to read a disc. A q-tip with some windex and then the other side to get any dust, etc and it read the disc without a hitch. Sounds good so far but I am still on the fence. I need to do a lot more listening but for $8 plus $4.50 for a controller and I have a decent CD player.

UPDATE: That was only half of the problem with the PS1. About the last 2 tracks were causing me issues with dropouts. i checked out Mike F's very knowledgable website and adjusted the laser intentsity, gain, and bias. When I hooked it back up I had made it worse so I double checked all of the settings and tweeaked them here and there. The solution was to turn my laser intensity to 12.9 mV and that was the trick. Seems to recognize everything I have thrown at so far. I have a few "poor" CD-Rs I burnt with a CD burner that was on it's last leg. If it can read that disc it will read ANYTHING. Anyway. I know now how to fix these with relative ease which is a bonus considering that you can get these for anywhere from $1 to $10. Now to the modifications.

Oh and Analogman, that was too funny. Great comeback.

This thread may be onto something. It exactly follows an Educational post from a vintage audio dealer who has been in the business a long, long time.

http://www.audioproz.com/AP.php?Arti...ab=Educational

Check it out, then explore his other material. He is halarious and knowledgable at the same time.

DK
    I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.

Dark Knight..................whew.....my brain hurts. Too much info. I think I get the just of what he is saying and kind of what I have been thinking the last week. I am a thousand times more knowledgable due to this and other forums. I've tested everything that I can throw at it and it is ready everything fine. Even over burned CDs with over 80 minutes of play time are being read and played without a hitch.

Fletch. I just posted your suggestion to the AK forum to a member looking to upgrade their CD player. It will be interesting to see what the response is. It is a great suggestion that I liked it enough to post there.

I know nothing about vintage audio but digital electronics is part of my job. You either have the "bits" or you don't. If the Play Station has greater digital resolution with high quality components, then it makes perfect sense. My hat's off to you. I am sorry that I forgot to give you due credit for the idea on AK but you can go there to help defend the idea.

DK
    I learn from my mistakes. I can repeat them perfectly every time.

Short writeup on these in the new Stereophile issue. I haven;t read it but thought I;d pass it on.

I don't know about the rest of you but I am pretty much sold. I picked up another unit for $6 plus trade from DVDs that I could not get rid of and an old Nintendo game I found free. It's actually in much better condition then the other 2 I have found and he has a 14 day return policy. I got the console, a controller, power cord, and new AV cable. My 6 disc Oknyo unit is going up on Ebay.

I still have a unit that's not working. I'm wondering if I should just butcher it for all of the parts? Anyone else recommend the 5501 model or have expereince with it?

the playstation is a harmonic distortion generator ,so, for instance , you dont need vacuum tube stuff anymore for that effect : )))

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Short writeup on these in the new Stereophile issue. I haven;t read it but thought I;d pass it on.
    In the April issue of Stereophile, John Marks talks about using Sony's original Playstation as a CD player. Says it sounds pretty good, with expensive cables, only OK with standard cables. Despite all that it is very inconvenient to use and not "comparable to a $6000 player" as many boast.

The thing is that for the $10-$25 price you would pay for one of these on eBay, you can pick up a used CD player these days. I'd guess the CD player would have lower mileage than a typical Playstation too.

When this thread first started I bought one of the 1001 models. It sounded OK. I wasn't blown away, but it was OK. Since then the price of used CD players has plummeted. You can pick up an excellent used CD player for under $100, with remote and far better aesthetic appeal.

I think these Playstations appeal to those who want to get in on "the secret deal" whatever that is.

Widget

Thread Information