Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate CD-player!?

pangea

The ultimate CD-player!?

Now I'm going to tell you something that you probably won't beleive in a million years.

I'll give you a tip, on hw to get your hands on what is probably one of the best CD-player ever made and the best part is, it won't cost you more than 30 US$ or so.

What you're saying... No I'm not kidding, I'm deadly serious!!!

So what's the big secret? OK, OK, hold your horses, I'll tell you.

Perhaps you've already got one, without even knowing about it.. OK, OK,

I'll tell you right away, but you've got to agree, the suspence is killing you, am I right or am I right...

Playstation PS1, is what you need, nothing more and nothing less.
    The older the model, the better it is suited.

Right out of the box, it will be a real , which probably will outperform anything you may have got, below the 5000 US$ range and with only some minor shielding of the power supply and some better cables/connectors, it'll most likely blow away anything up to the 10k mark.

So, what's the big secret here?

First of all, it was designed to be sold in millions, so there were hardly any limits/restrictions quality wise, on the parts that were used.

It uses a 32 bit DSP, because it has to be able to handle graphics as well and when it's used only for audio, there's plenty of muscles left.

There's a German company modifying the US model (PSone) and then they're charging the customers 2500€ for the thing.

The best part is, you most likely wont hear any difference between the 2500€ player and the more modestly modified one.

And most importantly, how does it sound?

VERY open, airy, detailed and powerful, and a lot of other things, but I'll stop there...

Go for it, be bold, make the 30 US$ investment and try it out for your self.

Then tell me what you think.

BR
    Roland
    Last edited by pangea; 03-06-2005 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Glad I saw your post, 'caus I was ready to spend big$$ for a Granite Audio CD player. Question...How 'bout PLAYSTATION 2. Same as 1 or no? THX

pangea

PS1 or PS2

Quote Originally Posted by invstbiker
    Glad I saw your post, 'caus I was ready to spend big$$ for a Granite Audio CD player. Question...How 'bout PLAYSTATION 2. Same as 1 or no? THX
    NO, the PS2 doesn't have the qualites of the PS1, audiowise.

Look for the SCPH1002, 5002, 5502 and perhaps even the 7002/7502.
    Some say the PSone and the SCPH102 are OK, others say they are not, I don't know, since Ihave not heard those, so you should trust your own ears.
    As I said, a german company does sell the modified PSone for 2500€.

Not much to loose, is there!

BR
    Roland

I was going to dispose of a SCPH1002 that the kids don't use any more, but now.... Will have to try this.

Thanks Roland
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    I was going to dispose of a SCPH1002 that the kids don't use any more, but now.... Will have to try this.

Thanks Roland
    Pheew!...Salvaged just in time then, for a better afterlife.

BR
    Roland

EDIT:
    If and when you're going to improve on the supply shielding, be careful the shield doesn't come in contact with the fuse-holder!!!!!

I've already killed one motherboard that way.
    Last edited by pangea; 03-07-2005 at 08:57 AM. Reason: addition

dancing-dave
    What about for playing? I mean when you set this up; how do you control the tracking? Mus you have a TV set up to it?

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by dancing-dave
    What about for playing? I mean when you set this up; how do you control the tracking? Mus you have a TV set up to it?
    I was just coming to that.

A small mini TV would be very cool and to control the whole thing, you can buy any remote control intended for the PS2, it'll works just fine on the PS1!!!

BR
    Roland

One other thingt! If anyone wants want to replace the RCA jacks on the motherboard, you must know exactly how and where to connect them on the motherboard. Otherwise I suggest you keep the originals. If you've got the RCA's on a cable I'd suggest you keep the original cable, but cut the audio cables to the correct length and replace the jacks with some better ones.

Do they have a digital out, or are you using the internal D to A?

Widget

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Do they have a digital out, or are you using the internal D to A?

Widget
    No they don't, but the internal D/A converters are, as I understand it, some of the best there is:
    The oldest models are using the highly regarded AK4309AVM converter (Delta Sigma converter), newer models, the equally renowned AK4310VM, both from Ashai Kasei.

BR
    Roland<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

djrobertc
    Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    First of all, it was designed to be sold in millions, so there were hardly any limits/restrictions quality wise, on the parts that were used.

It uses a 32 bit DSP, because it has to be able to handle graphics as well and when it's used only for audio, there's plenty of muscles left.

There's a German company modifying the US model (PSone) and then they're charging the customers 2500€ for the thing.
    uh... im pretty sure the PSOne doesnt upsample the CD from 16 to 32... the CPU is 32 but it runs 16.

Specs

In fact, according to these specs the max resolution for sound processing is at 16/44.1

The PSOne does not have digital out The PS2 has a digital optical out tho and reads DVDs (dont remember SACDs or other formats)

Alex Lancaster
    Pangea:

How do You shield the power supply?

Thanks, Alex.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by djrobertc
    uh... im pretty sure the PSOne doesnt upsample the CD from 16 to 32... the CPU is 32 but it runs 16.

Specs

In fact, according to these specs the max resolution for sound processing is at 16/44.1

The PSOne does not have digital out The PS2 has a digital optical out tho and reads DVDs (dont remember SACDs or other formats)
    Sorry!
    I can't get in to an argument with you there.
    I'm only referring the little I know, from a few German sites.

For those reading German I can only give you the adresses:
    http://www.audio-tuning-tools.de/pla...xpo%20horn.htm
    http://www.playfidelity.com/
    http://www.musicconnection.de/
    http://www.methe-family.de/cd.htm
    http://www.chiptech.de/

BR
    Roland

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    Pangea:

How do You shield the power supply?

Thanks, Alex.
    I've used a thin copper sheet, which I've cut up.
    One of the pieces I've placed underneath, with a wire soldered to it and connected it to the rest of the other shielding. It's also important to cut off any long residual legs sticking out under the board and just to be safe, I've also put some extra insulation between the copper and the board. Then the more difficult piece to cut, is the one that goes between the power supply and the main-board. I've used one of the screws to fasten it, but be VERY careful so that the copper doesn't come in contact with any live parts like the fuse-holder!!!
    I've killed one motherboard that way!

Although the best thing to do, would probably be, to put everything in a new (MDF) box.

BR
    Roland

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

is anyone going to try this out???

I think I will.....

got a early PS-1 for $10.....

pangea

PS1-based CD-drive

So, what do you all think, are you satisfied with the sound?

C'mon tell me I'm curious... <O</O

Is the PS1 going to replace your “old” gear?<O</O

BTW, I heard the other day, or if I read it somewhere I'm not sure right now, but nonetheless the message was, that some “Hi-End” audio companies (secretly) only use PS1-based CD-drives at demo-sessions, as well as all of their show trade activities!!!!!<O</O

What does that tell you?

BR
    Roland<O</O

Thread Information