Thread: L150A s double 12" woofers

dblaxter

L150A s double 12" woofers

does anyone know if jbl actually offered an upgrade on the L150's that replaced the 12"PR with another woofer ,on ebay there is a set ,this is the second set i have seen with double woofers, it is definitely not the same pair because the first set had 033's for tweeters ,this set has 044's . so i wonder if they were sets that someone just put in another woofer and wired as they saw fit ,or is there some kind of crossover upgrade also etc. or was it an upgrade that was offered at the certain dealers.
    thanks
    best rergards michael

Steve Gonzales

Double Trouble

The L150's enclosure is optimized for one woofer. Instead of being sealed or ported, it uses a passive radiator to tune it. Putting two woofers in there is probably a bad idea and I dare to say, would sound like cow pucky. I'm sure you could find some woofers that would work, but then you would also have to find two 4 ohm (series) or 16ohm (parallel) in order to keep the x-over values stock. If the woofers were both desirable JBL's, then you could buy them and sell the extra pair, find and buy the PR300's and pocket some cash. Anything CAN be done, but that doesn't mean it's TO be done.

you would need a cabinettwice as big and then you would be required to retune the passive radiator, or use a duct.

not worth the effort to retune that radiator.

dblaxter

did JBL make them or ?

it seems that the replys are is it worth doing ,im am asking if jbl ever offered the option because this is the second set on ebay advertised as being a jbl upgrade that offers 2 128h woofers ,i have never seen them in any brochures so i an curious if jbl did or someone rigged them up .
    thanks for the replies michael

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by dblaxter
    it seems that the replys are is it worth doing....
    I think you're misreading the replies. It's NOT worth doing, and JBL never offered such option, as best I know. You'd have to cut ports into the cabinet for it to work. Does this "upgraded" pair have them?

You COULD re-install the passive radiators, instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...757592524&rd=1

Link us to the eBay listing for the ones with dual woofers....

Quote Originally Posted by dblaxter
    it seems that the replys are is it worth doing ,im am asking if jbl ever offered the option because this is the second set on ebay advertised as being a jbl upgrade that offers 2 128h woofers ,i have never seen them in any brochures so i an curious if jbl did or someone rigged them up .
    thanks for the replies michael
    A misguided opinion of upgrade, but not JBL's. The old more-is-better theory. Just does not work to replace the passive woofer with an active woofer and expect "better".

DavidF

dblaxter
    thanks for all the replies , my interest is not to buy ,just curious about the authenticity, first pair that sold a while back was advertised as a 600.00 jbl upgrade done at purchase ,so obviously it was not true .
    thanks again to all

Dynacoman
    I went one better and just bought a second pair for stacked 150's.
    Plenty of headroom now.

Jim

BTW, if anyone wants to reverse such meddling around, I have a reconed pair of PR300s here, they're for sale now for relatively cheap. The only real obvious difference from stock, is that they now have a bolt sticking out the back (which would take a 1/4" nut) for mass-adjustment washer-stacking, instead of the captive nut on the original (where the bolt screwed into the PR cone). Same principle, same results, but looks different INSIDE the box, a bit. Nothing outside (front of the basket) looks anything different from stock...

Thread Information