Thread: Is fs for LE10H-1 the same as for LE10H ?

Question Is fs for LE10H-1 the same as for LE10H ?

Hi again

Have recently re-foamed two LE10H-1 (white cones). Re foaming job went excellent and the speakers looks to be like a new pair. Thanks to Bo who was a starting ignition for me to take the step to re-foaming JBL speakers (old re-coner as I am).

In a soon comming post I would like to show you some pics on how re foaming speakers is done by "Flodstroem" if anyone find it interesting.

Now to the question (to anybody who knows)
    When measuring fs in free air for these speakers the results I got was this
    #1 measured 37.0 Hz
    #2 measured 36.9 Hz

When looking at the JBL s Thiele/Small LF driver Parameter list I discovered that the fs for a "LE10H" should be 33 Hz. Is this the same as for LE10H-1?

An fs around 37 Hz after re foaming is not a bad start is it. For me it seems to be a decent starting point, when considering the speakers are newly re-foamed.

regards
    Flodstroem

Thanks for the Fs information on your newly "refoamed" le10h-1 woofers .

- It's no surprise that the Fs is around 37hz before breaking them in.

- I'm going to guess that they will drop 5hz after breakin.

- If you want to breakin them in over a short time period then :

- situate the speaker so that the cone can move freely and the vent in the magnet is not obstructed ,,, then

- run @ 20hz into each speaker ( maybe one at a time is best ) at maybe 5 volts . ( Make sure you see that cone actually travelling . )

- Leave it for 12 hours and then retest Fs. ( You may need another period of breakin )

- Maybe Giskrad will weigh in with how many volts he feeds these little puppies since my breakin experience is limited to larger speakers .

<>

Oh congratulations on your successful refoams - where did you buy them ?
    (pics would be nice )

And thanks again to Bo for putting all the effort into the step bt step documentation of his refoaming effort. It's a true "DIY Classic"

Never made a test to breaking in a speaker

Thank´s Earl

The pair (LE10H-1) was bought in Sweden many years ago.

When starting the refoam job with these I got some ideas and made myself a set of handy tools to ease the refoam job. The ideas will be published in a new thread soon.

Your hint to breaking in was interesting. I should try it to the LE10´s to see what happens to fs. And then I have a pair of refoamed LE15A pair and 136A pair to breaking in. You will hear from me how it goes

The pics here is one of the newly refoamed speakers under fs measuring
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Flodstroem

Steve Gonzales

Good Job

You really did a clean job! You seem to have a few of my favorite LF drivers, I'm a bit jealous

What a job! Perfect!

Well I would be interested which foams you did use. As the foams i usally use end up with app. 40 Hz and no break in can lower it any more.

BTW I love that LE10 in my DIY 4313B. Hell of a speaker!

Thanks for comments

I only use foam surrounds from Rick Cobb. I bought surrounds from/via a friend who was on a one-year working trip in the US. I dont know how to get/order surrounds when those I have is out of my stock. But there is always opportunities to buy more of those excellent surrounds.

Guido, how do you measure fs on your speakers ?
    Regards
    Flodstroem

Thread Information