Thread: Tour 2003

Tour 2003

Don,

Can you give us any tit bits about your recent Tour of Harman before posting all the details to the site, I hear you were fairly excited about it.

Ian

Talking

Tit Bits?

Having seen 40% of Don's new stuff during his presentation in Lima, I think you guys will enjoy it when he adds it. I particularly liked the "way-back time machine" photos......very cool.

MBB

I've tried replicating the "Wayback Machine", which was originally a Powerpoint presentation, on our web with limited success. It works with a broadband connection, but may not be useful over dialup. So far, I have not found a way to have the show pause between slides. Let me know what you think.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/wayback/wayback.htm
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hi Don
    I'm on dialup and the presentaton seemed to work fine. I saw pictures only . There was a pause, since the pictures loaded one at a time after each mouse click. I don't have any idea what I may unknowingly have missed since I don't know the full scope of the intended technical . For instance, I saw no text. Also, no "scroll-bars" appeared around the pictures so if there was text , I couldn't get to it. I didn't hear anything but may not be able to play back any streamed sound files . I'm on a Mac and usually keep things like Real Player turned off . Using IE 5 . I do like slide shows !
    ( is there a spell check in this forum software ? )
    regards <> Earl K

Well, after much futzing and tweaking I've come to the conclusion that the "Wayback Machine" as implemented on the main site does not work for the vast majority of viewers. I will only play as intended if you are using a very fast broadband connection and the latest version of Microsoft Internet Explorer. As a work around, I have converted the slide show to a Windows Media Video that can be downloaded by right clicking on the link below and choosing "Save Target As".

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/temp/Movie_0001.wmv

You can just click the link directly and it will stream, however I don't recommend it since it is set for an 850kb/s bandwitdh. Be prepared for a fairly large download (8MB).

You will need Microsoft's Windows Media Player to view it. This comes with Windows PC's and is available for download in a MacIntosh version. I don't know to what version it is backwards compatible since I only have Version 9 on my machine. If you get an error stating it is in an incompatible format, you can download the latest version here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp

Once you save the file and open it up in Windows Media Player, start playing it and then select "View" "Full Screen" for best effect.

Get it now while you can becuase it will only be up for a few days. It's just to large to leave up permanently.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information