Thread: why some of us prefer to do our own,recone,resurround etc.

dblaxter

why some of us prefer to do our own,recone,resurround etc.

i tried my best to slip in the back door to get some kits to know avail
    when it comes to recone ,surrounds etc ,i get fustrated when you cant buy a recone kit ,because were not authorized, then you have to send it out and hope you get a quality job ,it seems that i have seen threads that hint to the same issue where people have paid for but not received a quality job ,unfortunitly for me i live in a rural area and dont have a local authorized center near by. i know i can send them out but i guess impatience on my part and lack of availibility of certain kits made that a time consuming option also . on 2 different occasions i have had warranty work done ,and that was a joke , in n.j. and va. and this last issue is what made me want to show what good work some ,not all ,i have just not had good results.
    these woofers were done by a so called JBL auth. cntr in n.y. , so for me the east coast is not doing so well ,except for a place called stuarts audio in westfield n.j. the does excellent work.
    it just suprises me that someone would pay money to have these done .
    and jbl will recommend you to there auth cntrs to have surrounds put on ,if drivers are out of warranty ,i just think if this shop did this they should not be on the list ,JMHO and you know what they say about opinions
    this issue is also what on ebay was described as having new surrounds which is true

Difficult works or special works I ALWAYS do myself!

Always be aware that others work on your stuff just for the money, whereas you do it for yourself. And that's a BIG difference.

Charley Rummel
    Guido said: "Always be aware that others work on your stuff just for the money, whereas you do it for yourself. And that's a BIG difference."

I've seen some pretty lousy work come from alleged experts over the years in many forms. I'd rather have something sit in my workshop and wait for the opportunity to do the job right than to send it off in a hurry on a crap shoot.

Regards,
    Charley

I'll do it myself, thanks.

Problem is that the reconers in the USA seem to hold their business close to the chest. You have big problems to get the cone kits. BUT you can do the refoams yourself.

I'm glad to have acces to that stuff here in Germany and still we have generous forum members that can assist in case ...

Where in NJ?

DBLaxter, where in NJ did you have your JBL reconed? There is only one place in NJ to send your speaker to, and thats Consolidated Audio in Pompton lakes NJ, they are the best, and do the right quality recone work. Eric Wayne is considered to be one of the best JBL repair center in the industry!

If your gonna send it to NJ, send it to Consolidated audio!
    scottyj

pelly3s
    I will back up that statement about Eric. He does some killer work reconing speakers. My shop does all the maginet repairs for him and he is a good guy and one hell of a reconer.

That is terrible. Whoa..

I actually would take it up with JBL - send them some pics of that work and let them know. That is crap-ola.

I know many have luck with Orange County Speaker out here in CA, but I don't know in your timezone. Alternatively I think you can always send them back to Northridge, too...

Good luck!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I've always had great luck with Orange County when the guy JBLdog and I used is backed up.

dblaxter
    all i know is this ,that in the last year or so , do to ebay and this site ,i have been able to get JBL ,not aftermarket ,recone kits ,not as many as i would like but quite a few for speakers i have , and we all know where to get surrounds ,it would just be nice to go to the jbl site and by recone kits for drivers that are out of warranty because the ones i have put surrounds on and the ones i have reconed come out a heck of alot nicer them some of the ones i paid recone shops to do. yes i know looks are only 1/2 of the job they must fucntion properly also . and i have had some tested after the fact and all have checked out just fine. as far as surrounds thank god they are available, i know i'm no expert but its fun to tinker with the components ,must be a man thing. because i know i could not afford to get even the first 4 sets of drivers done if they had to be reconed ,thats why my L112's sat for 5 or 6 years boxed up waiting until the right time to get them fixed. money, time, etc.
    i know that JBL centers would lose money if they sold kits to the public but lets be real you know there are an awful lot of people that dont know how or dont want to mess with such things ,so i'm sure the loss would be very little .
    and is it true? does JBL sell recone kits to retail customers overseas? if so why is it such a big deal to do that in the states

hector.murray

Amateur hour

I freely admit it. When it comes to recone or resurrounds, I'm an amateur. I have done 4 surrounds, and one recone, planning on 4 more recones sometime soon. I liked the JBL recone kit I used. The kit was complete and armed with the info from this site and that kit, it went in smoothly. I'm not so rich as to have been able to have done it otherwise, and there is a certain pride I felt when it was completed. I enjoy repairing things. I can see both sides of this issue though. If JBL released recone kits to the public, three things would occur.
    1) JBL Authorized service centers would lose business.Not in the parts dept, but the techs that ARE good would see less work and an authorized service center would down size, citing less repair work.
    2) When Aunt Celias' amp went bad and smoked her speakers, her nephew Schmedrick, the one who is so good with her VCR, would get the call to come fix it. Schmedrick hoses her speaker 'cause he doesn't know what he is doing, pitches a fit, blames the kit and goes back to the JBL parts place, pitches another fit and in the interest of customer service, they take the speaker inhouse, repair it and don't charge him for the second kit.
    A variation of this is that he purchased the kit from a parts warehouse (like MCM for example) and they ship the speaker back to JBL
    3) Shops that have reasonable techs but not the resources to qualify as an Authorized Repair Center (Don't have the required equipment that is on JBLs' certification list, can't spare the techs to send to training, can't afford to keep the requisite stock onhand...) get kits in hand. They do ok work, but they don't sell JBL. JBL doesn't make their $ on repair. They make it on sales. Repair is a necessary evil of the industry. This shop though they don't sell JBL, they DO sell Pioneer or EV. Now you bring your L96 in to the shop because it sounds funny. The tech comes up and after a cursory check tells you they can recone your LE10H-1 and it will cost this much, or, they can put a pioneer woof in alot cheaper. ( I acquired my LE10H-1s this way)

I feel your pain. But from a business standpoint, JBL isn't going to release their parts to the public. At least not here in the US.
    I think there may be some forum members here that can accomodate you. I haven't acquired one from anyone here yet. The 2 kits I've purchased have either been through ebay or at a DJ shop that I have no idea how they came up with the kit.
    I think I heard someone say that if you were to go talk to the guys at the repair centers, that they may sell to you. I dunno. It's worth a shot.

Professional: Someone who believes that if ajob is worth doing, its' worth doing well.

Amateur: Some who believes that if a job is worth doing, its' worth doing badly

Thread Information