Thread: First JBL's restored.

First JBL's restored.

I purchased my first pair of JBL's on E-Bay a couple weeks ago. They were poorly packaged, and three corners of one cabinet were broken, one of them severely. Since they sounded so nice, I patched up the bad corners and reveneered them both so they would look the same. After reading the Steve Gonzales thread showing how to dress up the yellowed Aquaplas (Thanks, Steve), this was done as well. Mine don't look as nice as Steve's, because my game is more brute force and ignorance, as opposed to skill and patience. But I am happy with them. The foilcal was bent in the upper right corner of the cabinet which was the worst damaged one. Are these available somewhere, or do I need to try to remove this one and straighten it out? Also rather than just oiling the wood, I used 4 coats of Rub On Poly coating. Doesn't look original JBL, but is easier to care for. And one woofer had a cut in it, which I repaired. I have another pair of 2213H's, but one of them has some missing surround, so it will be sent to Gordon Waters for repair before the woofers in the units are replaced. I am truly impressed with the sound of these. They may replace my Altec Valencias as my favorite speakers. I am glad to have finally discovered JBL.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thumbs up

I hate to be a voyeur, but do you have any before pictures?

They look nice, but we'd like to see them as you got them, too.
    Out.

I wish I had taken some "before" pic's...

But after listening to them, they sounded so nice, I simply jumped in. Never thought about before pictures. I have bought a pair of 4412's from Audiobeer, and if there is any restoration done on those, there will be before and after pictures. I worried about how to match the blue face of the 4412's, but a thread has just reared it's head which details matching of the paint, so maybe that problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jackgiff
    I have another pair of 2213H's, but one of them has some missing surround, so it will be sent to Gordon Waters for repair before the woofers in the units are replaced.
    Got the right fabric surrounds in on the last parts order. Fire away when ready!

Regards,
    Gordon.

Steve Gonzales

Hey Now!

Excellent work Jack! I'm glad that whitening thing worked for you. Wish I could help with the folical. I know that the careful use of a heatgun makes the job easier to do. After you tackle something like you did; doesn't it MAKE you want to find another project?. Thanks for sharing, Steve G

Real good work!

Another pair of JBL's saved

Tom Loizeaux
    Your pair of Altec Valencias look very nice too!

Tom

Thread Information