Thread: First JBL's restored.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First JBL's restored.

I purchased my first pair of JBL's on E-Bay a couple weeks ago. They were poorly packaged, and three corners of one cabinet were broken, one of them severely. Since they sounded so nice, I patched up the bad corners and reveneered them both so they would look the same. After reading the Steve Gonzales thread showing how to dress up the yellowed Aquaplas (Thanks, Steve), this was done as well. Mine don't look as nice as Steve's, because my game is more brute force and ignorance, as opposed to skill and patience. But I am happy with them. The foilcal was bent in the upper right corner of the cabinet which was the worst damaged one. Are these available somewhere, or do I need to try to remove this one and straighten it out? Also rather than just oiling the wood, I used 4 coats of Rub On Poly coating. Doesn't look original JBL, but is easier to care for. And one woofer had a cut in it, which I repaired. I have another pair of 2213H's, but one of them has some missing surround, so it will be sent to Gordon Waters for repair before the woofers in the units are replaced. I am truly impressed with the sound of these. They may replace my Altec Valencias as my favorite speakers. I am glad to have finally discovered JBL.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information