Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cannot find server...

The thread crashes started:

[Sat Feb 19 21:19:07 2005] [error] (54)Connection reset by peer: getsockname
    [Mon Feb 21 14:16:58 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Mon Feb 21 14:17:08 2005] [notice] Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) PHP/4.3.10 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634 configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Mon Feb 21 14:17:08 2005] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:22:20 2005] [notice] child pid 197085 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:22:31 2005] [notice] child pid 337070 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:35:57 2005] [notice] child pid 329307 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:49:27 2005] [notice] child pid 336450 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    John Nebel

Obsolete
    I fixed your log John -

Quote Originally Posted by John Nebel
    The thread crashes started:

[Sat Feb 19 21:19:07 2005] [error] (54)Connection reset by peer: getsockname
    [Mon Feb 21 14:16:58 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Mon Feb 21 14:17:08 2005] [notice] Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) PHP/4.3.10 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634 configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Mon Feb 21 14:17:08 2005] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:22:20 2005] [notice] redheadedstepchild pid 197085 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:22:31 2005] [notice] redheadedstepchild pid 337070 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:35:57 2005] [notice] redheadedstepchild pid 329307 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Feb 21 14:49:27 2005] [notice] redheadedstepchild pid 336450 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)

Thanks

The crashes started immediately after PHP 4.3.10 was installed

http://test.audioheritage.org/anntestphpinfo.php
    John Nebel

Hey, John...

I inadvertently found a seemingly significant difference: I am having trouble directly "quoting" on a reply - it fails to the "white death" page.

However, if I:
    - hit the quote button
    - type my reply and then
    - copy <CTRL-C> my entire quoted reply, and then
    - go back out to the "LHF" main page and work inwards

then I am successful in posting using an ordinary "Reply" and pasting-in <CTRL-V> what I copied.

Maybe this is helpful in sussing the error...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bo,

It can likely be any php code in vBulletin crashing when the conditions are right. The php interpreter or the built in optimizer with the improbable name "zend engine" are crashing the apache process in whose context they are executing.

Just like the trouble with medicine - naming the problem is not fixing it.

I can tail -f the error log and see the crash message appear then the vBulletin php task crashes

[Tue Mar 15 06:06:35 2005] [notice] child pid 93378 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Tue Mar 15 06:06:39 2005] [notice] child pid 62438 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Tue Mar 15 06:06:41 2005] [notice] child pid 39887 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Tue Mar 15 06:07:31 2005] [notice] child pid 93529 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)

At least we know where to look to see when the problem is fixed -
    /usr/local/apache-fp/logs/error_log, and what the overall cause is.

There are 32K+ documented bugs in php, but only 308 in version 4.3.10. Hopefully this one is documented.

John
    John Nebel

Hi John

Just as background, Ann installed the latest version of PHP at my request in order to get the new photo gallery up and running. The specific requirements for that gallery are PHP 4.0.2 or newer, MySQL 3.2.3 or newer and GD 2.x.x or Image Magick. My preference was for GD 2.x.x over Image Magic since Vbulletin has a bot spamming prevention feature that requires GD 2.x.x and I thought that installing it would kill two birds with one stone.

To my knowledge, the version of MySQL you had installed was current enough for Photopost and not changed. I am not 100% sure of the following, but I think the previously installed version of PHP was also new enough to meet the Photopost requirement. The problem was that GD was not installed. I believe Ann went to the latest version of PHP because it included GD 2.x.x and this appeared to be the easiest way to gain that functionality.

Therefore, there may be the option of rolling back to an earlier version of PHP and installing GD separately as a means of addressing the current problems.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the info. Ann and I talked about this when she was installing php 4.3.10. It will likely end up working OK.

Fortunately the problem can be recreated frequently enough. On the scale of very hard to find, very seldom to totally broken, it is comfortably to the right.

John

PS

"The PHP Development Team would like to announce the immediate release of PHP 4.3.10 and PHP 5.0.3. These are maintenance releases that in addition to non-critical bug fixes address several very serious security issues. All Users of PHP are strongly encouraged to upgrade to one of these releases as soon as possible."
    John Nebel

...it is comfortably to the right.

FYI: Ann has been working on this for days.

Latest: Replace MySQL with another version & replace php with another version.

That needs a another version of gcc which can only be compiled in an earlier version of itself which if one goes back far enough can be compiled with the c compiler distributed with the operating system.

The operating system's c compiler has the nasty habit of insisting that programs be syntactically correct which open source software typically isn't.
    John Nebel

RIP 2009
    Still happening as of 5:50 Pacific 3/16/05...

John

The operating system's c compiler has the nasty habit of insisting that programs be syntactically correct...
    Odd, since most of us, nor progammers, aren't, neither...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Good one, Bo.
    John Nebel

FYI: Ann has been working on this for days.

Latest: Replace MySQL with another version & replace php with another version.
    Just to put this in perspective, the level of service that John and Ann are providing on this issue is unparalled. Those that have been with us long enough may remember the previous service provided by a commercial ISP whenever we had forum problems. On no less than three occaisions, our previous forum (provided by the ISP) crashed causing data loss. Not only would the ISP not take any responsibility for their failed software, but they could not provide recent backups and charged for months old data to be retrieved from tapes. When our last commercial forum package begain having resource issues, instead of trying to diagnose the problem and develop a solution, they just shut down our forum and barred us from using it again.

Since John has taken on hosting our site at no cost, our forum has quadrupled in size, quadrupled in bandwidth, added the new photo gallery and all without any decrease in performance. Regarding data integritry, I think we have lost a grand total of three posts, all due to stupidity on my part in inadvertantly deleting valid posts as part of ongoing maintenance. In one case they restored an entire forum in less than 12 hours with no data loss after an operator error (me).

The current problem will still take some time to resolve as indicated by the scope of work that John and Ann are undertaking. The only reason the problem occured was because John and Ann were working to enhance our forum with the new photo gallery feature. With new, untried software came the risk of bugs and it would appear that these risks have been realized. I would ask that everyone maintain their patience as this issue is worked out.

Regards
    Don

P.S. As further evidence of growth, we appear to be days away from having our main page counter roll over to 400,000!

hector.murray

Amen

the level of service that John and Ann are providing on this issue is unparalled
    It isn't easy being in their shoes.
    I, as I am sure many of us here do, have faith that they will correct the issue, and believe that they have been working diligently on our behalf.
    As a matter of fact, I made a donation based on my belief that they will resolve the issue.

I'm not bitching, I just thought that this might help, it is what I am seeing this morning when I look at the photo gallery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information