Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cannot find server...

hector.murray

server

I agree with John (since we're troubleshooting by committe ) in that it looks like php errors vice DNS. I keep multiple pages of the forum open and only experiance this issue on individual threads, not the whole site.

Obsolete
    It appears two or more people can't hit the same post/thread at the same time. I just posted and now cannot access my post at all. Although I got the error the instant I hit Submit Reply, it appears my post still went through.

Ok, after waiting a bit I can now access the post.

Computers are so unbelievably stupid. They make fairly decent game platforms though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nebel
    There is likely a PHP or vBulletin bug. Did this start about the time the new photo gallery was put into operation?
    I believe I first noticed it late in Feb. It does seem to be getting worse.

Widget

I don't get a DNS error, instead I get an "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error". When I turn off the default IE "friendly error messages", I get the following detailed error message:

Server Error

The following error occurred: [code=SERVER_RESPONSE_CLOSE] The server closed the connection while reading the response. Contact your system administrator.

<HR>Please contact the administrator.

As with others, it only occurs with specific threads and I don't get errors accessing the main forum page. For me, I just started noticing this in the past week or two. I do know that Ann upgraded PHP in this time as part of getting the new photo gallery up and running and it may be related to this (I hope not).

Don

hector.murray

best wishes

Best wishes to Ian and Ann regarding the correction of this error. I know you're working to get the issue resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    I don't get a DNS error, instead I get an "Error 500 Internal Server Error". When I turn off the default IE "friendly error messages", I get the following detailed error message:

Server Error

The following error occurred: [code=SERVER_RESPONSE_CLOSE] The server closed the connection while reading the response. Contact your system administrator.

<hr>Please contact the administrator.

As with others, it only occurs with specific threads and I don't get errors accessing the main forum page. For me, I just started noticing this in the past week or two. I do know that Ann upgraded PHP in this time as part of getting the new photo gallery up and running and it may be related to this (I hope not).

Don
    Don,

PHP isn't writing out anything but the page header for certain threads, but not always failing on those threads. This thread is an example as it only let me access it by going directly to the last post. Would you check the vBulletin site for problem reports and patches? I don't have my password to that site handy. Too many d**n passwords.

Ann can look into the PHP side.

John

The forum has been updated to the most current version and patches for the past couple of weeks. The vBulletin forum does not report any recent incidents similar to what we are experiencing. Doing a search on that forum for "internal server error" resulted in this reply:

This error is most likely from an apache module called mod_security, which severly limits vBulletins operation. Your host will either need to configure mod_security to allow vBulletins operation or remove it.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    The forum has been updated to the most current version and patches for the past couple of weeks. The vBulletin forum does not report any recent incidents similar to what we are experiencing. Doing a search on that forum for "internal server error" resulted in this reply:

This error is most likely from an apache module called mod_security, which severly limits vBulletins operation. Your host will either need to configure mod_security to allow vBulletins operation or remove it.
    It wouldn't work at all in that case.
    John Nebel

RIP 2009
    OK - I just hit the "Back" button in my browser from the post above this and got the "page not Found..." error and the link was http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...isplay.php?f=7John

RIP 2009
    'Any progress on this? It's still happening to me several times a day.

John

John Nebel

I don't know if this means anything, but I started getting the same error on a testbed forum on the lansingheritage.org domain. What's interesting is that this forum currently has only two members and no posts. I was the only one on line on that forum and I still got the "internal server error".

Don

Yea, well now the "problem" has occurred trying to Reply.

Got the reply all typed-in, ready to go and WHACK! I tried it twice over the course of a half-hour, same Thread (Timing Alignment) and no-one else seemed to be doing anything there. Pretty discouraging, because the reply text is lost...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Geez Bo, your post would have started a flame war anyway...

This problem, I am back on this thread topic, is becoming a PITA. I have blown off reading and responding a couple of times... on second thought that may be for the better.

Widget

Could always try the old PHP and see if that fixes the problem.

http://bugs.php.net/bugstats.php lists php bugs.

Actually something is crashing

[Mon Mar 14 14:14:59 2005] [notice] child pid 259355 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Mar 14 14:15:00 2005] [notice] child pid 261324 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    [Mon Mar 14 14:15:02 2005] [notice] child pid 182582 exit signal Arithmetic exception (8)
    John Nebel

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I have blown off reading and responding a couple of times... on second thought that may be for the better.
    Geez Widget, your post would have started a flame war anyway...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information