Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Praragon horn=2395 horn sans lens ?

Is it just me , or are the phenolic diaphragmed drivers very good in the midrange?.
    Somepeople swear by them ( Steve Schell ) being the most notable advocate around here.

I have some phenolics / JBL 2482 / RCA midrange 8 inchers & 3" diaphragmed compression drivers / RCF 1" compression drivers . Since my current efforts are directed towards making metal diaphragms integrate ( successfully I think ) - I'm afraid all attempts to incorporate phenolics in a straightup swap ) are bound to fall short without a major reworking of the smaller parts.

- In English now : phenolics always sound way too "over-damped" for my liking.

- OTOH : IMHO ; JBL metal diaphragmed compression drivers sound waaaay too "under-damped" for typical home use - without a lot of help from passive circuits ( ie , resistive losses or aquaplas ) .

There you have it . 3 cents worth .

Steve Gonzales

Gotcha !

Thanks for the english translation for the technically impaired . Side by side critical listening A-B tests between my L220's with stock 2420/2312's installed and my L222's with LE85/H92's running phenolic's -all other things being equal- proves exactly what you said Earl. I have had to E.Q. the two pair so that a happy medium is reached. Sort of a blend/middle ground. I can make either pair sound great by itself and would be satisfied with either alone. B.T.W., My wife's family is from B.C., that is probably why I like you so much . Le Claire's. We all get into our tech stuff so much, that I just thought it would be nice to recognize you above all that. Thank you, Earl K.

( from the Great White North )

Thread Information