Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the game.

Lightbulb Ebay issue is pretty common....

...and it's been mentioned in other places, but any progress on the idea to have a forum location to gather opinions/reactions/experiences with common sellers of vintage JBL gear? maybe even associated Amps that are often used by forum members? Deals are one thing, but having some idea of what to expect would benefit us all.

Maybe there is just not enough people out there "in the biz" of selling vintage parts. An internal rating system among members would eventually affect the wider audience out there trying to pass off crap and reward those who are honest. For those whose parts collections are vast the "assuming it's shot" theory works, but for those here whose entire parts collection fits in a shoebox, then there's merit. It's really an extension of what this site is about- and the more information here, the more transparent the process of finding parts we need.

In general, Audiogon listings tend to be more accurate at least, and people adept to proper shipping...

one more thing.

BTW: I'm obviosuly new to the Lansing Heritage forum...but have been with the JBL Pro family for nearly 25 years. So... HELLO all!

To the core of this forum

Smile

Except for "project speakers," I tend only to bid and buy JBLs that I can see and pick up locally. This restricts my choices, but it also cuts my losses.
    Out.

One of the main reasons I came here!

I thought it would be best to come here to look for good vintage gear. You guys know what is involved with vintage gear and what it takes to get it in top shape. I was also hoping to probably buy from you guys. That way I can be pretty sure that I'm getting something that will at least work the way it is supposed to. I may not like the sound of a particular speaker but at least I will know I'm getting a fair and honest representation of the way it is supposed to sound.
    I'm just really grateful that there is a site like this with guys like you. So I'm just gonna keep hangin' out and lookin' and tryin' to learn what's going on with JBL gear. It's a valuable resourse and I'm going to try and take full advantage of it.
    If any of you have things to sell let me know. I've already talked with with one of you about his gear and I'm considering those speakers, but I'm new, so I'm going to look and learn before I jump. Thanks for your help so far. I have a good feeling I'm finally on the right track.

Hi....having owned a pair of L77's and being an "old rocker" myself, I agree with the suggestion that any of the 4300 series and the ubiquitous L100 are a better choice. They're affordable, plentiful and LOUD!

The 77's 10 in woofer with it's passive radiator is fine for most listening but lack in that low end punch that the 43xx's excel in. Also the original Lans-a-Loy surrounds have probably stiffened with age which further reduces bass response.

rbh

majick47

Ebay Buying

Old Time Rocker welcome aboard. Re Ebay there are no hard and fast rules but with some experience you can start to see the signs of when to walk away. Number one for me is checking feedback, it will tell you alot about the seller, the quality of the items and ability to ship them without being damaged. Also read the description carefully and ask questions. Compare photos of the item with material on this site to see if it matches (ie woofer cones) and do your homework/research. If the seller is evasive or does not reply to questions I'd walk away. I'd recommend this boards MARKETPLACE as an excellent location to find anything JBL. Another spot is AUDIOGON where you can find good items at a reasonable price.

I would offer that you could build your own speakers for much less if you are so inclined. This site has dozens of experienced speaker builders that can tell you just how to do this and recommend differnt drivers as well. It depends on your skills, tools, and what your really after. I agree that most new speakers are indeed caca and that is why I am collecting drivers and plan to build my own.

At least with classis JBL drivers repair kits and services are available to revitalize the drivers, makes the investment worth it. I doubt many new speaker companies will offer replacement drivers for long, they would prefer you buy another pair of speakers

Thread Information