Solid State vs. Tube Amps

<HR style="COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1>

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I would like to hear about the difference in these two types of amplifiers. Maybe de-bunk some myths and some in-depth explanation of the pros and cons of both types. Other than the obvious differences, why does a low watt tube amp seem to be more powerful than it's rating would suggest?. I am a Solid State guy myself and even with 90db plus efficient speakers, I find that peaks of 200+ watts are not uncommon to see with today's Digital recordings and their wide dynamic range. I see tube guys freak-out when I mention that many watts, like I'm deaf and need 110db's just to enjoy the music. Nothing could be further from the truth. I also find that just the ambient noise level in the city causes me to double my average power level (duh) and wonder how some 8 wpc SET could EVER power, say, some Altec 19's or JBL L300's?. I realize that alot of pure horn designs of the golden era simply had to have sensitivity ratings in 100-105db + @1w/1m due to the state of amplifier evolution back then. I spoke to a good friend, Electronics Engineer and former JBL pro dealer, Mr Jack Sproul, about this and he said that when you get down to the nuts and bolts of a tube amp, it's old hat. Their distortion levels and performance (generally) can't even begin to compete with State of the Art SS amps. His opinion is that the tube "purists" are really in love with how a tube amp COLORS the signal!. That "warmth" that is often associated with tube amps is a by-product of component limits/characteristics, topology and is inherent in the basic tube amplifier design and that this produces a type of naturally occurring E.Q. I LOVE audio and admire and RESPECT EVERYONE'S CHOICE for their own set-up. I've listened to some REALLY GREAT tube amps recently (Audio Research) and must admit that they were DEAD QUIET, SWEET and projected a WONDERFUL SOUNDSTAGE!. I am curious to hear your opinions about this. My best friend, Mr David Brink, will be building a quad (as in 4)-amped system using 300B based amps on top and EL34 for mid/midbass and maybe a big CJ on bottom or SS Perraux. I can see where in this type of system, that a small amp can be used to power efficient drivers to deafening levels but, I can't see how you can power a big, passively crossed-over, relatively efficient speaker of 90db @1w/1m and get the most out of well recorded music. I must stress that this is not a FEUD!, no, I SEEK to be ENLIGHTENED by those with REAL WORLD experience. I will say thank you to all that understand and respond with that in mind. Lordy!, I'm almost scared to get into tubes, because if it turns out to be the next best thing to sliced bread, I might have to save some extra money for the divorce , Sincerely, Steve G

<!-- / message -->