Thread: First post :) Looking for info about JBL-LX66 speakers

fjhuerta

First post :) Looking for info about JBL-LX66 speakers

Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum. I was simply AMAZED at the amount of information on the main site... hats off to its creators, and a big THANKS for sharing all the information with us!

I've been surrounded with JBL speakers ever since I was 11 (thanks uncle, wherever you are). Starting with a pair of JBL82s (8" woofer, titanium laminate tweeters), right through Control 5's, Control LA's, LX-22's and LX-66's.

I sold the Control 5's and the JBL82's some time ago. The Control LA's still perform as strong as ever - actually, when paired with a passive C-V sub, they sound pretty decent. I can't find the LX-22 woofers - the foam edges are destroyed by now...

Which leads me to the JBL-LX66s. Floorstanding, 3 way, 2 8" woofers, 1 4" mid, 1 titanium tweeter. They were recently replaced by a pair of MartinLogan Scenarios - and are now back again, reason being, the room they were playing in is HUGE, and the little Logans just didn't cut it.

I'm now looking for any info on the LX-66s. They were given to me as a gift a long time ago... 11 or 12 years, perhaps? I now have to decide whether to keep them or buy something new.

Any info on this speaker? FWIW, I feel it has superb (albet a bit underdamped) bass response. Mids and highs are too subdued, and an RTA analysis shows response at least is 5 dB down from around 1000 Hz and up. They are easy to listen to, non-fatiguing, and they throw an amazingly huge soundstage.

Thanks for any help!

Hello,
    lx66 : (1989)
    4 ohms, 94dB;
    frequency reponse 45hz-20khz
    crossover frequencies 650hz and 3,8khz
    two woofer 200mm 408G
    medium 405G
    tweeter 026Ti
    Dimensions 1066x356x399mm
    net 28 kg

fjhuerta
    Thanks for your answer!

On researching the tweeter, I found out it is the cheapest titanium dome available from JBL. I'd assume the towers were the top of the line of the "economy" series, or something...

The speakers themselves are made in Denmark, something I haven't been able to understand. Why would JBL manufacture speakers in Europe, and then pay freight and taxes on them to bring them to America? It's just strange...

fjhuerta
    Hello Giskard,

I meant America as a continent. I bought the speakers in México.

I do remember them being a bit expensive... at the time, they were 2X what the most expensive Acoustimass system went for.

I also got a superb H/K system to go along with it. To this day, the system still performs flawlessly.

rgreen

JBL LX44 model 408G woofer

Can some one please give me the specs for the JBL LX44 model 408G woofer?

Today most JBL's are cheap quality and not so good like the speakers from the early 80's. I remeber the L96,L112,L250 with great veneer and good quality. The last model I see is the brandnew TL 260 <big laugh>
    What should it be ? They copy their own models, a copy from the L250 ?
    With a small 12" Woofer, but a bundle of crapy plastik to give it the look from a 14" Woofer ? I think JBL had the best time from 1975 -1988

Looking for LX66 Wiring Schematic

Greetings! I picked up a pair of JBL LX66's and refoamed the (4) drivers. Does anyone have a .pdf file of the LX66 wiring schematic that they'd be willing to share via email? I'm looking for the schematic that has the color codes of the wires identified. My email is [email protected]. Thank you in advance! - David

Quote Originally Posted by kaigongroup View Post
    Greetings! I picked up a pair of JBL LX66's and refoamed the (4) drivers. Does anyone have a .pdf file of the LX66 wiring schematic that they'd be willing to share via email? I'm looking for the schematic that has the color codes of the wires identified. My email is [email protected]. Thank you in advance! - David
    http://www.service-manual-downloadsl...1326997-0.html

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Thanks for your answer!

On researching the tweeter, I found out it is the cheapest titanium dome available from JBL. I'd assume the towers were the top of the line of the "economy" series, or something...

The speakers themselves are made in Denmark, something I haven't been able to understand. Why would JBL manufacture speakers in Europe, and then pay freight and taxes on them to bring them to America? It's just strange...
    As I recall they were just ahead of JBL's push of garbage into the big box stores. Not what I would call high end like the l1 - l7 series near the same timeframe, but not big box store junk. Solid mid range at the time. The enclosures bear this out. Still a lot better than most of what was around during that era.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

Update - JBL LX66 Service Manual Request

#Update
    Unfortunately, this site no longer appears to be in operation. I ordered the service manual for the JBL LX66 for $12 bucks through
    PayPal but the Company I ordered it from refunded my $12 bucks. Does anyone have a soft copy of the LX66 service manual that they can email to me at [email protected]?
    I specifically need the schematics.
    Thank you!
    David
    NorCal

-------------------
    2012 I7 Quad Core Mac Mini, 16 GB Memory, dual external 4TB HD, 3,750 albums losslessly ripped.
    AudirVision player, AudioEngine D1 DAC, 1974 Marantz 2325 Receiver, (Front Mains) JBL LX66 Towers, (Rears) JBL 4408's,
    Infinity BU80 powered sub, Hitachi PS-59 Direct Drive Turntable.

Thread Information