Thread: Jbl 4560

dougie.com

Question Jbl 4560

Hello All,
    I've been looking at building a 4560 bass bin and noticed that JBL has several versions : 4560, 4560A, 4560BKA.
    They have low freq. responses of 45 to 60Hz with the same driver.
    There does not seem to be any major differences in the boxes and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this.

Oh, I'm looking for enough information to build a 4550.
    Plans, line dwawings, or measurements would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

Alex Lancaster

Wink 4550, 4560

4550's: Have You tried all of Lansing Heritage or JBL pro Vintage?

4560īs, the A suggest a minor change, BK is utility black; They are great (and bulky) for PA and Sound Reinforcement, but do not have much deep bass, even with a 2205H; for HiFi use monitors or make Your own.

Alex.

Alex is right, good boxes but bulky, and the horn loading starts dropping off below 180hz, so even though they designed it to function as a reflex box down low, its efficiency as a BR isn't as high, so while it IS producing bass down there, it ain't at the level of the midbass. It should be considered a midbass unit, really, although it is still a good unit overall. I use them for both minor PA use and a fair amount of hifi listening. You can supplement them with a sub and get good performance. These boxes do good things, they really do. They are proof that the enclosure is a HUGE factor.
    My latest project I'm assembling is using the mid/high horn combo from the CS3115 (8 inch cone mid on horn, 1 inch comp. driver high), the 4560BKA for midbass, and a JBL 5644 quad 15 inch bass cabinet for the bass.
    I have two 2245's that Giskard tuned in cabs for me; superior bass, but the 5644 is 103 db efficient, versus the published 95 db for the 2245's, so I am looking at seeing how they work out, just for fun. I have had these 5644's for, what, two years now, and have scarcely played a note through them. Perhaps a bit of EQ on the bass, if needed, and I'll have 103 db bass, 103db midbass, 105 db mid, and 111 db highs!! We'll see...!!!!!!

The 4560 is definitely a midbass unit. I originally thought that it was developed as JBL's answer to the Altec A7 as a theatre speaker. However, Mark Gander told me that the box was designed by a tour sound contractor that later came to work for JBL. It was designed as a PA box from the start and was meant to be supplemented with bass bins.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

dougie.com
    Thanks for all the info.
    I have some D-130's and 2215's that I want to put into cabinets for a home sound system.
    Does anyone have some suggestions for boxes for these?
    I'm looking for boxes that best suit them.

Regards, Dougie

Thread Information