Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pls listen to this

Alex Lancaster

Pls listen to this

My 20 yr son is making a record with His group, pls log on to www.mantralp.com, access, go to "lp", "status", and the 2 songs that have a blue tone kind of burst are the ones that work; I would really like to have Your opinion.

Thanks, Alex.

Steve Gonzales

Very nice!

I always ask myself, "Can I picture this song playing on the radio?". Well, I can. Very talented group, very easy to listen to. You should be proud of your son and his band.

Alex Lancaster
    Thanks Steve; The rest of the guys: come on We need suggestions and opinions!

Hmmmm, I've tried Alex - but I don't get anything to listen to .

- That ancient "Mayan/Aztec/Olmec ? stone" just keeps spinning while the "Recording" sign keeps flashing .

- The playlist behind the "Access" button never fills in . Nothing is listed .

Obsolete
    I think I'd have to hear them on something a bit better than my computer sound system (ubiquitous Creative stuff). The instrumentals sound good. How is the lead singer in person? Richer, fuller voice?

Alex Lancaster
    Earl: Pls try again, it happened to me too, maybe a glitch?

Giskard: That is it for the singer; I have heard the CD's, they are still working on the project, I´ll talk to my son this evening about how to get more sound quality.

Thanks for the response.

- I made some changes to my settings - this time it worked .
    - I'll add my critique within a day or two .

I wonder about a band that has a song titled Angles Exist and Love Me like a Bitch on the same album, but what the hell.

Those two songs sound great. I am with Giskard, I'd like to hear them for real to really get a feel for them. My only computer audio access is through a cheapo USB headset.

Widget

Alex

I'm going to be honest, because you asked for opinions. If you want only praise, then read no further. Just to qualify my opinions a bit, I was music director, then station manager of college station WSAE-FM in the late 60s early 70s. I auditioned A LOT of music. I also played in several bands, most of which were forgettable, though a couple did grind out some passable rock'n'roll. I also did the weekend DJ thing on a couple of stations in the midwest.

Now, on to the music in question:
    1) Others have sidled up to this, but I'll say it straight. The vocals are the weakest part. Either the group needs another vocalist, or the vocals need to be re-recorded, or the melody needs to be rewritten. The vocalist's voice is interesting, but it (or the melody or the recording) becomes tiresome and detracts from the overall sound. Since the vocal is front and center, it makes or breaks the song. In this case, it breaks it in my opinion.

2) The keyboards need to be cleaned up and the keyboarding style needs more musicality. On the first song ("...Yellow...") the plodding keyboard work is a real distraction. It's better on the second song, but there seem to be (perhaps intentionally?) some misplayed notes and slightly late attacks.

3) The heart of the band (guitat, bass, drums) is pretty darn good here. If I could get rid of the vocalist and the keyboards, I'd enjoy listening to these guys as a power trio.

So, there's the down and dirty. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but I do mean to provide you with honest feedback.

Now, don't yell at me.
    Out.

Alan Fletcher

Doesn't work...

Tried with both Internet Explorer AND Firefox. No Go. The orange box just sits there and says "building..." whatever that means.

Alex Lancaster
    I´ll recheck with my son, thanks for trying.

Alex Lancaster
    I rechecked, and it works with Explorer:

www.mantralp.com
    click on "access"
    " " LP Status

Only the 2 songs with a blue tone burst work.

pls let me know.

Bo Putnam, I am waiting for Yr response.

Alan Fletcher

Works now...

Hey... not bad. Lots of potential here. When is it coming out on vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lancaster
    I would really like to have your opinion.
    I finally got around to this - been stuck on web-simulcasts for three days...

Yellow Tree: Nice. Interesting construction, and instrumentation - keys/cello intro to solid kick, keys and acoustic. Bridge has nice feeling; chorus brings it home in good style.

Production (JMO):
    - Pan the keys and guitar opposing hemispheres, about 30° off-center
    - keep the keys and guitar in a consistent position (the movement on the soundstage is annoying and distracting). Even with the overtracking, this should be maintained.
    - pan the cans (toms) wide R/L, at-least 55°
    - snare sounds planar - needs some FX
    - pan the cymbals (crash and ride) wide R/L - wide I say.
    - one of the crash's sounds really cheap - like a rubbish tin lid. Get some good ones - it matters A GREAT DEAL.
    - the female needs some pitch support. Most evident on chorus (second phrase each time, and each chorus ending), and particularly on the final, ending chorus where she's quite passionate - it is driving her off pitch - but I like the passion in her voice! ). I'd fatten her up with a higher ratio on the comp/limiting.
    - I don't like the changing panning of vocals at the end, but that's just me.

Angels Exist: Equally good. Intro -> v1 transition needs something else (see below). The nearly acapella bridge bit is cool. The chorus is really good - it's got hooks.

Production:
    - I'd add some light cymbals texture background to the keys intro, and a chimes sweep into intro end.
    - transition to first verse is not confident - that tempo change (intro is 8/4, verse is 4/4...?) is a potential disaster. Get it sorted out so she knows the que's and its seamless. The change is so extreme, you may need a longer pause between intro and the 4/4 part. I'd give it to the Kit - maybe a subtle Kit fill, toms roll to snare+hat establishing the 4/4 cadence before she sings...
    - ibid on the pitch support
    - ibid on snare
    - panning is better, but not enough.
    - female is not big enough on the chorus; swimming through the intruments. Get her on top, where she belongs.
    - wa-wa guitar too dominant; knock it back 3dB
    - guitar lead is to me the wrong patch (but it is your style) - to me it's a bit too searing, too caustic. But I understand and feel the energy build you've got going.
    - ending bit - try a subtle B3 (using chording inversions, slow Leslie) against her vocal arpeggio. The pizzacato piano is fighting her note-by-note articulation - except it does bring it back to the intro bit (outro). Maybe back her vocals with B3, then go to the piano solo for the outro...? That would be full circle since the intro is sans vocals.
    - outro tempo switch (back to 8/4) is again, a bit of a struggle, but better than the intro.

Otherwise this track is similarly constructed to Yellow Tree. Need to show your diversity more, and get outa your own ruts.

Overall, it'd have a bit more drive if the bassman tags it more frequently with the kick - when the kick is double-kicked bassman should do likewise. Together. Lots of room for this in the chorus, doods. Drummer is often doing a double kick on beat three of many measures of the chorus - try and join him. Powerful stuff...

BUT, after a half-dozen listens I better understand what you are shooting for on this track, and like it, a lot. Maybe Titanium Dome has a point on that guitar patch - since we only have two cuts from the album, it may be we haven't heard your diversity, yet...

Show us more...

And, apologies... As any FOH engineer will tell you, we are cursed. We do production real-time and listen intensely to the product because we can (and do...) try and fix it real time so the audience hears the artists best they can, in spatial position relative to the staging of the band. As such, we get hardened to the nuances and get the knobs right, fast. I have suggested what I would do FOH, although there are much greater subtleties that can be sought for recordings. Oldmics - you out there...?

(ps: Alex - I just noticed you asking me - flattered. I had this on the to-do list anyway, just been buried. Sorry it too so long to get at.)

-------------------

Modified / added to my comments after a listen in my studio.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam

Otherwise this track is too similarly constructed to Yellow Tree. Need to show your diversity more, and get outa your own ruts.

That would be my biggest criticism as well. Especially the cool acoustic intro cutting to powered rock... it is being done here well above average, but please not on every song.

Others have criticized the singer for being too wimpy... on my wimpy USB headset... who knows?

By and large a significant effort and well done. When there is more do let us know.

Widget

Thread Information