Thread: New toy; backup generator good enough for audio

New toy; backup generator good enough for audio

We endured a once-in-a-lifetime ice storm Jan 5/6th. 2-3 inches, massive tree and powerline damage. We were out for 7 days. I am a weather nut, played a hunch, bought a generator 3 days before the storm. Picked a nice cheaper Honda. Good unit, but loud like most of them. 3 days into the power outage I got all my money back and traded up to a discounted unit that is WAY nicer; quiet as hell, very smooth, MUCH better fuel economy, and amazingly clean by virtue of their inverter technology. Added the wheel kit and cover, and I'm a happy camper. We rescued/housed all kinds of neighbors for days during the outage, using judicious power distribution to not overload the unit. Temps got down to 5 above. We had up to 22 people hanging out here. Now I have a nice quiet unit for future live music/picnic/party/stage/mobile music float/whatever use.
    I love stuff like this. Never could have endured the WAF griping, but after life going on like normal while the neighbors went through hell, she said it was the best thing I'd bought in awhile. Planning to try it out with one of my systems at some outdoor gatherings this summer.

The EU3000is maintains the impressive rating of 48 to58dB (less than that of common speech even at rated load), and it will run for up to 20 hours on a single tank of gas when used with the Eco-Throttle feature. This impressive generator provides 3000 watts of power and weighs only 134lbs. The Honda Inverter Technology makes this generator ideally suited for use with sensitive electronics (e.g., computer, fax, printer, telephone, stereo) because the generator produces a clean sine wave of energy that results in no surging. To prevent any possible damage to the unit, the Oil Alert will shut the unit off when the oil drops below a safe operating level. The available power is commonly used for the following typical electric devices:
    • Full Size Micro Wave Ovens
    • Larger Power Tools i.e. circular saw
    • Resistive Load Kitchen Appliances (i.e. Coffee Maker, Toaster)
    • Roof Top RV Air Conditioner
    • Emergency Home Back up power where no 220 power is required
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"This impressive generator provides 3000 watts of power..."

How do I power the other nine Sub1500s?

I have a different solution. A couple years back when Enron was screwing California with their, as it turns out, manufactured rolling black outs, we never got hit once. My building is on the same grid leg as the SF main police station and city jail. Even during storms when a few hundred thousand homes loose power the whales are still enjoying my stereo.

Widget

Ha!
    Hey, we're talking survival here; I fire up the 4560BKA's. 103db/watt/meter!

We're gonna hook my portable stage up behind a pickup, put the generator in the truck bed and the band on the stage, and enter the St Patricks parade this year..............big fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

I have a different solution. A couple years back when Enron was screwing California with their, as it turns out, manufactured rolling black outs, we never got hit once. My building is on the same grid leg as the SF main police station and city jail. Even during storms when a few hundred thousand homes loose power the whales are still enjoying my stereo.

Widget

Mike, How much did this generator cost you?

Columbus, Ohio did not fare well through the ice storm either. I was lucky, Sharon's house lost power. I wouldn't mind getting a generator for backup when the cold weather hits.
    Ron

You want this bad boy...........

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...delName=ex5500

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget

Widget

It's nice to have power, but the noise, especially in a neighborhood full of them, is nuts. There aren't really any like the Honda Eu series. Stand next to it at full throttle and tlak normally no problem. Most gens cannot be used anywhere near a stage or people, too loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57
    Columbus, Ohio did not fare well through the ice storm either. I was lucky, Sharon's house lost power. I wouldn't mind getting a generator for backup when the cold weather hits.
    Ron

Thread Information