Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Polarity and 4343 wiring

Originally posted by Zilch

Recognize also there is no "ground" or "positive" involved here. The red and black are merely arbitrarily assigned phase designations. Speakers are AC devices; there IS no electrical "polarity" here. You can reverse the wiring to a system with impunity, as long as you wire all systems the same so as to keep everything in phase, or out of phase, as designed. That's how this thread started. Tom wanted to reverse the phase of all of his drivers. He could merely have reversed the leads on his input terminals to accomplish that....
    Thanks and I read many link you give.

Yes you are right in all the way...

And my LF ir react in good way polarity + applied in red put motion in...

For the phase (where info JBL who claim this driver is connected is polarity inverse for best match phase ???

Or, if you prefer, what is protocol for phase test who determine what is exact polarity connection is better ???

thanks again.

Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    I guess Mr Lansing is having a lot of fun after 60 years of this.
    Yes and lot of money in pocket because the responses is only acess by tech dealer and charge for ...

Originally posted by B&KMan
    For the phase (where info JBL who claim this driver is connected is polarity inverse for best match phase ???

Or, if you prefer, what is protocol for phase test who determine what is exact polarity connection is better ???
    Now you are inquiring about the subtleties of speaker system design. Crossover components introduce phase shifts of varying degree depending upon the "order" of filter. However, the physical configuration of the drivers also influences the final outcome.

Generally speaking, the effects occur at and about the crossover frequency, attenuating the output at those frequencies at certain listening angles, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Sometimes the designer chooses the final phase connection to optimize the overall performance in various listening environments. Users can, and sometimes do, the same. It's as much art and preference as it is technology.

Choosing phase connection by subjective evaluation is mentioned in the several references I cited. It's not absolute. Start with what JBL establishes as standard for any given system and tweak to your heart's content. Joy or curse, it comes with the territory here....

Choosing phase connection by subjective evaluation is mentioned in the several references I cited. It's not absolute. Start with what JBL establishes as standard for any given system and tweak to your heart's content. Joy or curse, it comes with the territory here....
    Thanks very well for your light.
    Is my turn to give info...

I just finish run test impulse response of the driver with polarity with and without inversion.

My Bruel & kjaer bi-canal analyser is ability to mesure phase response drivers in same time of the spectrum response. I put mic under one meter for limited introduction of noise.

the response result is effectively really better with black wiring is connected to black pole of driver. Yes the polarity is inversed in this (the cone in go inside).

The phase is non discontinued with the MF. plus : the higher spectrum response of LF is really better and more linear. Of course the 1/3 octave analyser have difficult to explain this effect, the FFT analyser where each frequency appear expose more the big difference of two connection and spectrum response.

The response is really change and I have obligation to re-calibration of the pot for other driver because the LF is more power... what big surprise.

I appreciate your information: Is confirm exactly the experience but it is not shure before double expertise in two way ( scientifict method).

Re: Re: 4343 wiring polarity

If I'm wrong, tell me soon enough for me to delete this.
    Nope, you've got it 100% correct!

To augmnent what "Dr." Nebel posted, (and I hope this is uniform...):

All solid colored wires (non-black) connect to the Red terminals
    All striped wires with white or black or solid black connect to Black terminals.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I appreciate your information: Is confirm exactly the experience but it is not shure before double expertise in two way (scientific method).
    You confirm what is generally accepted as fundamental here: JBL designers and engineers know what they're doing.

It' sometimes difficult to understand just exactly what that is, is all....

I just send a pict to mesure phenomenon with and without good connection
    and the result of the phase and spectrum response...

pict is 1000 words value...

Attached Images Attached Images  

same test in all parameter except conection in in good polarity but is in out pf phase design.

Attached Images Attached Images  

same test in all parameter except conection in in good polarity but is in out pf phase design.
    Nice work, B&K Man! Thanks for sharing your findings, and for taking the time to collect the data, both right and wrong connections. Interesting...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information