Thread: Gauss drivers

sa660

Gauss drivers

Gauss Drivers,

I am looking for datasheet and information on Gauss drivers?
    I recover an old Gauss 5840 for free. I would like to recone it because the driver is not working.
    I was told that this driver can be recone in a sub-bass 4583.
    I know nothing about the 2 drivers.
    Can you help me locate datasheet and parameters for the Gauss range of drivers?

Thanks

Can you get recone kits ?

Hi Richard

I used to own ( in the late 70s' ) Gauss 8842 reconed into 4882 - 18" woofers. The 4882 cone had a lighter cone / setup for horn loaded cabinets ( mine were in W151/W460 bins ). I eventually reconed them to 4883 woofers- meant for reflex loaded boxes ( these are now long gone ). The point here is that most Gauss speakers from that era were reconable into other types from the same product family . The 5840 should be able to be reconed into a 4583 ( "a" or "f" ) . Check this out with a qualified reconer .

- The 4583a had a regular "triple-pleated" treated-cloth surround ( like an Altec 416 or TAD 1601 series woofer ) allowing an Fs of 31 hz. Sensitivity is given as 97 db. Xmax is .25" ( 6.35mm ) / Qts is .30 / Vas is 10 cu' / Pe is might be 400 watts - but I'm pretty skeptical about that number.

- The 4583f had a foam surround ( like a JBL 2235 / le15 or TAD 1602 series woofer ) allowing an Fs of 22 hz. Sensitivity is given as 97 db. Xmax is .25" ( 6.35mm ) / Qts is .20 / Vas is 16 cu' / Pe might be 300 watts - but I'm also skeptical about that number.

- The 4580 is a speaker with an aluminum dust cap like the E130, really meant for the M.I. market .

- As mentioned, I'm very skeptical of all power handling claims made by Gauss for their speakers . Their magnetic structures weren't vented and all voice-coil generated heat had to be drawn off by the magnet ( & its' fins ) or vented into the area between the dual spiders. I don't think this design topology has stood the test of time. I'm not aware of any present day manufacturers who give the compliment of copying it . I imagine for hifi use there shouldn't be a power handling issue unless you like to push things "pedal to the metal" all the time .

- I'll take some photos of my spec sheets and post them in a day or 2 .

regards <. Earl K

Gauss recone kits

You can get Gauss recone kits, but they are NOT the original kits. I have been through this, and what you get now doesnt sound the same as they used to. The recone kits you get are from the last run of black frame XR series gauss and the voice coils, and formers are different!

sa660

Gauss Data Sheet

Earl K,

Thank you for all this information.
    I am looking forward to see these data sheet.

I do not know the all range of product from gauss and therefore are glas to get any information that you may have on Gauss.

I also found Gauss 2080 compression drivers. Are these model good?
    Do you know them to you have specification on different Gauss compression drivers I know of the 4000 series and the tweeters 1502 but had never heard of the 2080 before I saw an add on the net for them.

Thanks again.

Can't attach jpgs

Hi Richard

Send me a PM ( private message ) with your email address so I can send these jpgs to you. I can't post them here for various reasons ( size, computer/browser problems, etc. )

- I can't comment on the sonic quality of the 2080 compression driver ( I've never seen or heard one ) It is a 1" (25mm) exit driver with a 51 mm aluminum diaphragm. The magnet type is ferrite . This magnet ( motor ) can also accept a phenolic diaphragm, making it a 2081 driver .

regards <. Earl K

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by sa660 View Post
    Gauss Drivers,

I am looking for datasheet and information on Gauss drivers?
    I recover an old Gauss 5840 for free. I would like to recone it because the driver is not working.
    I was told that this driver can be recone in a sub-bass 4583.
    I know nothing about the 2 drivers.
    Can you help me locate datasheet and parameters for the Gauss range of drivers?

Thanks
    Hey, have you ever tried http://www.datasheetpro.com/index.php ? It is a free Datasheet search site for Electronic Components and Semiconductors, integrated circuits, diodes, triacs, and other semiconductors.

Hope you will get what you want.
    Good luck!

Thread Information