Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expert Help Urgently Needed For Vital Audio Preservation Project!

Expert Help Urgently Needed For Vital Audio Preservation Project!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4486840

See the photos linked here:

http://discover.npr.org/photo_galler...allery=4487170

Those tapes (now disintegrating) and equipment are all vital pieces of electronic music history that should be preserved.

Anyone know how the tapes could be saved - digitally saved/transferred?

Note the organo-cyber-acoustic origin of the circuits involved - incredible!

BTW, "FORBIDDEN PLANET" is my all-time favorite film! I am the world's #2 expert on the film - and also have a plot outline for an incredible remake.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Save our Sounds

Click the link to theis site.

http://www.saveoursounds.org/moreaboutsos.htm

It's the Save our Sounds site. It is supported by the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress. The also have quite a few artists on their leadership committee. Within the website you'll find an email address to the Smithsonian. I've emailed the Smithsonian before and received prompt and relevant response.

$750,000?!

We spend (waste) 1/2 Trillion dollars on war & destruction and $750,000 for preservation of historical audio recordings!

Is something screwed up here !

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun
    We spend (waste) 1/2 Trillion dollars on war & destruction and $750,000 for preservation of historical audio recordings!
    I don't believe the military/industrial complex believes in preserving anything...

John

"The primary aim of modern warfare...is to use up the products of the machine without raising the general standard of living.

The essential act of war is destruction, not necessarily of human lives, but of the products of human labor. War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking into the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent."

George Orwell, "1984".

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    I don't believe the military/industrial complex believes in preserving anything...

John

I am afraid you are quite wrong there John. The military/industrial complex has made many rich people significantly wealthier. (Google Bush Dynasty)

...but don't get me started, I'm likely to perturb some otherwise nice folks.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    Yes ive made a fortune designing weapons of mass destruction for 30 years. Use them up so I can make more.

Sonofagun you may not like military spending, but I'll bet that you benefit from the freedom and security it provides you each day though you may not appreciate it. Besides, what in the wide world of sports has this got to do with the preservation of historic audio recordings?

Steve, Steve, Steve....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    Sonofagun you may not like military spending, but I'll bet that you benefit from the freedom and security it provides you each day though you may not appreciate it. Besides, what in the wide world of sports has this got to do with the preservation of historic audio recordings?
    As fast as any poor dog face soldiers are supposedly protecting our so-called "freedoms" (how many licenses, permits, etc. have YOU had to BUY...hmmm, they weren't "free"), our high priced politicians are passing more and more laws (on top of the umpteen thousands we have already!) to restrict, control, regulate, micro-manage, etc. every facet of our lives (and make US pay for all this at gun-point by the way).

"Security?" What world are you living in? Turn on the news and what do you hear? All about the latest epidemic/disease outbreak or food/product recall/warning or chemical/biological/nuclear threat/imminent war or missing persons/CHILD! or drought/storm/food shortage or the latest murder/robbery/crime statistics (we have more people locked up then any other nation - many are "political" prisoners). All we need is one more incident like 9-11 and we go to Red Alert (look it up and see what THAT will mean!). We all live behind locked doors with security systems and travel deteriorating highway systems patrolled by revenue agents (whose salaries we pay).

..."what in the wide world of sports has this got to do with the preservation of historic audio recordings?"

I just made the comment that billions are wasted on war and destruction (and other important, vital projects like catsup testing, sex-life of butterflies, etc.) but less than 1 million for preserving audio recordings. Seems a little whacky to me. Frankly, it's patently insane!

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    Yes ive made a fortune designing weapons of mass destruction for 30 years. Use them up so I can make more.
    Really? Now I'm curious. Like what?

Have you designed anything for the BENEFIT of mankind?

Originally posted by sonofagun
    Those tapes (now disintegrating) and equipment are all vital pieces of electronic music history that should be preserved.

Anyone know how the tapes could be saved - digitally saved/transferred?
    Did you have any success contacting the Save Our Sounds Organization with your request for preserving Bebe and Louis Barron's early electronic music?

Haven't tried contacting them - thought better to try some private persons instead. There are several companies specifically named after the extinct race (The Krell) featured in the film! As many of you may be aware, one manufactures high-end audio equipment - emailed the owners, but no response.

There are thousands if not millions of fans of the movie so somebody otta be interested (and have the resources!).

Porschedpm - you are invited to try the SOS site if you wish.

Can I go for a ride sometime?

Maron Horonzakz
    Sonofagun......Benefit of mankind? Yes I have. My kindly advise to you is ,,Dont worry about what you cant control.....Its interesting your moniker ends in GUN. Its interesting You want to preserve some thing out of the obscure past. Rather than design something that will benefit the future. I have been apart of that.

I emailed the address below and made the suggestion that the recorded works of Bebe and Louis Barron be preserved. Here was the content of my email:

TO: [email protected]

"Hi. I would like to know if the recorded work of Bebe and Louis Barron is being preserved. They did the original soundtrack for the motion picture "Forbidden Planet". If not already, I would like to suggest that a representation of their work be preserved since they represent pioneering work in the field of electronic music. Here is a link to a recent NPR radio article on them:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4486840 "

The email address is directed to: Save our Sounds at the Folklife Center at the Smithsonian Institute. If you feel this is a worthy cause, I suggest you email them also.

Thread Information