Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home cinema surround with Prof.

Kim L
    Of course cabinets can get to the point that the components are better used removed, I agree...just hate to see a perfectly good L100 parted out. Maybe that is not happening as much as I think. A list of new replacement components would help.

L100 upgrades

I know I'm going to open myself up to criticism, but I like the classic look of the L100 and have upgraded the components as follows:
    • Replace the woofer with a 128H-1 (white cone) or 128H (black cone).
    • Replace the midrange with a 104H-2 or 104H-3
    • Replace the tweeter with a 035Ti or 035TiA (both require minor trimming of the cabinet and the plastic tweeter fascia plate to get them to fit.)
    • Replace the crossover with that from a L100T. (Note this bypasses the L pads)
    What I end up with are components similar to a 4412 (or 4412A) except for the crossover which is from the L100T and easier to find. I did the first pair primarily because I had an empty pair of L100's and already had all the components except for the crossovers. My goal was to end up with a speaker for my garage that sounded better than the L100's that I was using. What I ended up is a speaker that has tighter, more accurate bass (still punchy though) and much more extended highs than the L100's. I also did a pair for a friend of mine and although we used 2213H's instead for the woofers to better match his 4312A's, he's quite happy with them. I myself prefer the 128H-1 woofers because they seem less bloated and more accurate than the 2213H's. The L100T crossovers (pn 66426-60) I admit are a compromise. I used them because 1) they were easy to source-new from JBL or used on eBay, 2) have the same crossover points as the 4412, and 3) I didn't need to mess around with wiring in the L-Pads. However, if you can find 4412 (or 4412A w/no L-pads) crossovers I would certainly recommend using them but I've not been able to find any. My opinion is that this, taken as a whole, is viable upgrade to the L100. Keep in mind though I am by no means a technical guru on this Forum and all this is all based on my casual observation and not any empirical evidence. So opinions may differ and your results my vary.

Sellers are parting out L100's and equivalent three-ways frequently, like Kim says.

As Ed suggests, acquiring those tired old stinky cabinets that appear on eBay and giving them new life as *real* speakers using available (often inexpensive) alternative drivers is indeed a worthy endeavor.

Some of the refinishing jobs I've seen on this forum just knock me OUT! It seems enormously fulfilling, such a project.

[035Ti's are GOOD, yup, yup!]

Home cinema surround with Prof.

- This thread was supposed to be about component suggestions for Paragons cinema "surround: system .

But once again the L100 "virus" has created another thread<<<<>>>> .

BTW "porschedpm" ; I would have done all the same mods to any L100s in my path , excepting perhaps, starting all mods with a timely "drop-kick" - just out of basic priciple .

Kim L
    Earl K,

Oops, hope you are not sorry that you helped me out on that other thread. I really appreciate it. I am trying to broaden my JBL horizon.

Kim

Oops, hope you are not sorry that you helped me out on that other thread.
    Nope, I'm not sorry .

I much prefer 14" woofs over 12" . I did read all your postings ( to do an ersatz background on you ) after I made my initial suggestions . So now I realize you already use a lot of 12" woofs like the L100ts / L100 Centurys and the L20ti3 ( that you mentioned ) . That's all helpful to know up front .

Anyways this thread is once again offtopic. :dont-know

Thread Information