Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The seeming demise of JBL OEM parts... and the subsequent devaluation of a brand?

...just read that Congress women Jane Harman is the second wealthiest person in Congress following John Kerry who is married to Teressa Heinz - the pickel heiress.

Anyway, my re-coner says there are a lot of OEM parts that are still being made and that "nothing" is in short supply. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    my re-coner says there are a lot of OEM parts that are still being made and that "nothing" is in short supply. Really?
    http://reconingspeakers.com/product/...-kit-c8r2245h/

Speakerex claims they are out, and cant get more.
    Luckyli, i got a pair from a local JBL service center.

It is getting kind of weird as part numbers come and go. For instance there were no 2220 kits for anwhile and when you ran the number it would bounce back like the number no longer existed but in a random check several months ago, all 2220 kits were in stock, 8, 16, and 32 Ohm kits and I bought enough 16's to rebuild all baskets I had.

None of the E kits have show as good numbers for a while and suddenly, there is one C8RE145 kit.

I was very surprised a couple of weeks ago to see the C8R2245 kit not come up. I bet it will be back but I don't know that.

You just have to keep on checking, or have your favorite re-coner keep checking. You just never know.
    Last time I looked there were 30 plus C8R2243 kits in stock. That number has always bounced back on me.

I am keeping the faith.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I know its off topic but what are the spec for a 2243? I can't find any cut sheets on it.

But reading through this thread can be a bit depressing. Times are a changing and not for the better.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    I know its off topic but what are the spec for a 2243? I can't find any cut sheets on it.

But reading through this thread can be a bit depressing. Times are a changing and not for the better.

Nick
    Here you go. From this 2004 discussion.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=2243

Basket is 2242.

"Fs = 30 Hz
    Qms = 5
    Vas = 338.1 liters
    Cms = 0.155 mm/N
    Mms = 0.182 kg
    Rms = 6.854 mohms
    Xmax = 5 mm
    Xmech = 10 mm
    P-Dia = 397.4 mm
    Sd = 0.124 sq.m
    P-Vd = 620.1 cu.cm
    Qes = 0.2
    Re = 5.2 ohms
    Le = 1.4 mH
    Z = 6.24 ohms
    BL = 30.2 N/A
    Pe = 700 watts
    Qts = 0.19
    no = 4.401 %
    1-W SPL = 98.58 dB

2.83-V SPL = 100.5 dB"

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Here you go. From this 2004 discussion.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=2243

Basket is 2242.

"Fs = 30 Hz
    Qms = 5
    Vas = 338.1 liters
    Cms = 0.155 mm/N
    Mms = 0.182 kg
    Rms = 6.854 mohms
    Xmax = 5 mm
    Xmech = 10 mm
    P-Dia = 397.4 mm
    Sd = 0.124 sq.m
    P-Vd = 620.1 cu.cm
    Qes = 0.2
    Re = 5.2 ohms
    Le = 1.4 mH
    Z = 6.24 ohms
    BL = 30.2 N/A
    Pe = 700 watts
    Qts = 0.19
    no = 4.401 %
    1-W SPL = 98.58 dB

2.83-V SPL = 100.5 dB"

What a hoot!

The very person who recently dodged a few simple yes or no questions, and ridiculed me for resurrecting a four year old thread, is here chatting it up on a twelve year old thread. LoL!

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    What a hoot!

The very person who recently dodged a few simple yes or no questions, and ridiculed me for resurrecting a four year old thread, is here chatting it up on a twelve year old thread. LoL!
    Well. I am helping people get some information. Even searching in an old thread. Not being grumpy and acting like a diva. Please, now. Let us what you will bring to the conversation. Hopefully you're not trolling. Again...

...But reading through this thread can be a bit depressing. Times are a changing and not for the better.Nick
    Actually at least on the Pro side, things are much better than now than they were when this tread was started. For a while what you could get was often junk. At least what you can buy now is easilly usable. They just transitioned maufacturing sites before they were ready for primetime.

I am surprised at how long JBL has supported some of these old transducers. For that I am grateful.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I am surprised at how long JBL has supported some of these old transducers. For that I am grateful.
    +1

Fingers crossed they'll keep it up.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    What a hoot!

It is hard to tell what you're going to get here. Usually its answers in a helpful spirit. Sadly it is sometimes either: "Use the search engine! We have been over this a million times!" Or "What are you doing digging up an ancient thread?!?"

Sometimes I think this site has nearly run it's course. Our active contributing member numbers are dwindling and it is hard for me to understand when we don't band together in appreciation and welcome a chance for learning.

I don't know enough about back loaded horns to ask intelligent questions and hoped to learn some just by listening in on the discussion. I hope to still.

Glad to see you again Horn Fanatic.

My best to all,
    Barry.

Sometimes I think this site has nearly run it's course. Our active contributing member numbers are dwindling and it is hard for me to understand when we don't band together in appreciation and welcome a chance for learning.
    Hey, it works when it works! Active contributors keep the story alive. Everything goes in cycles. Maybe right now there's nothing new to add but, as the world turns, someone will ask questions only some here can answer. The name of the group embraces Heritage. That's what you all do, and you do it well!

Keep it up. The next generation is depending on you, they just don't know it yet.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Nice.

Thank you.

Barry.

Actually at least on the Pro side, things are much better than now than they were when this tread was started. For a while what you could get was often junk. At least what you can buy now is easilly usable. They just transitioned maufacturing sites before they were ready for primetime.

Barry.

This is what I'm left scratching my head over. You scored some 2220 kits a while back. But if you need 2225's your up poop creek.

Does jbl still make the individual parts or are they OEM?

Nick

This is what I'm left scratching my head over. You scored some 2220 kits a while back. But if you need 2225's your up poop creek.

Does jbl still make the individual parts or are they OEM?

Nick
    Cones were outsourced in the past , perhaps different nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Cones were outsourced in the past , perhaps different nowadays.
    And still are. An example is the 2235, that cone is made by Hitachi, not Hawley. If Hitachi ever decides to stop making them it is very doubtful any one else will diligently try to reproduce it. It's not just JBL we have to worry about.

Hi Nick,
    There are more than 10 C16R2225 kits on the shelf right now, no eights, currently. No C8R2245's

If you have a high affinity for obsolete drivers you had best build what you can while you can or make the leap to what is available now.

All the best,
    Barry.

Thread Information