Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Le85

What happens when replacing 8ohms diaphragms with 16ohms?

Today I have 8ohms. At least I think I do, because it says so on the back of the LE85.

The crossovers are calculated with 8 ohms. There is also the fact that there is an L-pad attenuator between the crossovers and drivers.

Meaning:
    12db band-pass crossover, 1200Hz and 7000Hz -> L-pad attenuator 8ohms -> LE85 8ohms.

The dia's on e-bay are 16ohms.

What will happen?
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

If you have an original JBL aluminum diaphragm with a smooth surround it is a nominal 12-16 ohm driver regardless of what the nameplate says. If it is an aluminum diaphragm with diamond pattern or JBL titanium diaphragm with diamond pattern it can be either 8 ohm or 16 ohm. If it is an aftermarket diaphragm you have ?

If you are using JBL networks that were designed for the LE85 they are designed for the 12-16ohm impedance. If you are using custom made networks that were designed for a nominal 8 ohm load and you put a proper LE85 (2420) diaphragm in it you will want to adjust the network.

Widget

Alex Lancaster
    Widget, You must be thinking of a 375/2440 when You say "smooth surround"; All the L85/2420´s I have seen had the tangential lines on the surround.

Damn! You are right... it has been a long time... actually no, I helped Infredible replace his 2420s a few months ago, OK my brain is getting soft.

Yes I had a mental image of the 4" diaphragms as I wrote that. The 1.75" diaphragms have a radial pattern of angled tangential lines for the original aluminum version and then in the 80's when they discovered the diamond surround they changed it and the impedance.

Widget

Ashamed

Yesterday evening I opened the speakers, took out the cables from the LE85's. They ohmed out at 10,6Ohms..

That explains a lot..... E.g. odd response when adjusting the attenuators.

As a quick and crude attempt to fix the fact that both the attenuator and band-pass filter are designed for 8Ohms I added a 16Ohms resistor in parallell with the driver.

What does this do with sound quality? Is it a way to go around the problem of finding 16Ohm attenuators?
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

http://www.partsexpress.com/

have 100 watt 16 ohm L-pads at very reasonable prices. You may not need 100 watt pads, but they tend to be better built all around. I would suggest you order a pair. Shipping will no doubt be more than the parts, but they are small and the entire order should be relatively painless.

Widget

Thanks Widget.

I'll order more than just the pair. There will be other projects later on. Think I will move the upper crossover frequency too if I can get some Aluminum diaphragms.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Thread Information