Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klipschorn Upgrade

Klipschorn Upgrade

Article in 2/05 AudioXpress outlines how to upgrade Klipschorn with JBL 2404H.

Conclusion:

"Good horn tweeters are expensive, and the JBL 2404H is no exception. A new pair will set you back about $550. ... In my opinion, the investment is entirely worthwhile."

Oooops!

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    Oooops!
    ????

John

Oooops!
    ????

Widget

Obsolete
    Article in 2/05 AudioXpress outlines how to upgrade Klipschorn with JBL 2404H.

Conclusion:

"Good horn tweeters are expensive, and the JBL 2404H is no exception. A new pair will set you back about $550. ... In my opinion, the investment is entirely worthwhile."
    Neato! Thanks for the heads up!
    That'd raise the net worth of those Klipschorns to roughly $559.98...

Tisk, tisk, tisk.....

Widget

The Oooops! is for the $$$$. Author waits until the last paragraph to mention THAT part. WE know used ones are available much more reasonably, though.

Another good quote:

"The improvement over the [stock EV] T35 is by no means subtle. It is decidely obvious. High frequencies are reproduced with extreme clarity and detail. The assumed excellent dispersion characterisitcs of the bi-radial horn configuration are confirmed too, evidenced by a complete lack of "beaming."

Note: It's not a simple swap. Author designs an builds a new crossover HF section, and describes how to disconnect the HF section of various versions of the stock crossover....

Thank god some people buy this stuff new so that we can buy it later used, or better yet unused.

Widget

BTW: I read the article and thought it was fairly thorough and well thought out.

HenryW
    FYI - I have heard a Klipschorn modified with the 2404 and it is a very nice improvement and well worth the change for any so inclined. Asthetics is the only issue - I have run across the same using the 2404 in my project (pictures of progress coming soon) - it either makes your horn section wider or taller than most other three ways...

Ahh...the K-horn...

In my mis-spent youth, I frequented many local hi-fi shops. One in particular was a K dealer and I was once treated to a full-on, glass-shattering rendition of Herbie Hancock's " Rockit" (remember how big that tune was in 1982/3 ? ).
    It was so loud that even in my younger and stronger ear days, I was questioning the sanity of remaining in the room.

I don't know how many K's were sold strictly on volume, but it had to be a lot. And somehow *we* got stuck with the "junk but loud" tag. Ain't fair....

I never forgot the K-Horns, and I never bought that album....

jblnut

Al Klappenberge
    Guys,

For what it's worth, I don't like going from a horn to a direct radiator in the Khorn. What the Khorn needs is a better horn! Put an Altec 511b in there and the difference will knock your socks off! I have Belle Klipsch with 811b horns, JBL 2426h drivers and Beyma CP25 tweeters. I am also using extreme-slope crossovers (120 dB / octave). The difference is obvious! See: http://www.s114186177.onlinehome.us/ for details.

AL K.

Steve Gonzales

Good stuff

Boy, that is a great looking rig Al, I'll bet that it DOES sound very nice. I am a fairly new convert to compression horns and don't know how I EVER thought that music sounded good before them!. Cone/Dome Lovers: NO OFFENCE INTENDED, that is my taste. Looks like you've had/have some sweet lil' babies to help you critique too. 1 meow= good, 2 meow=bad, 3 meow= are you kidding?!

Al Klappenberge
    Steve,

Yep.. Those modified Belles are up there with the best of them. The Altec VOT horns are very good. I guess I should admit that part of my business is selling upgrade crossover networks for Klipsch heritage speakers. I am ALK Engineering.

As to the cats, I have only one now, the grey one. The tabby died (had to be euthenized actually) from bone cancer. I still miss her.

Al K.

Steve Gonzales

Great companions

Our kids are grown and gone and now we have our two boys. Here we all are listening to music together. I can't imagine life without them.

Al Klappenberge
    Steve,

Here's my new little pest ... oops, I mean pet! He always wants to be in sombodies lap!

Al K.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I owned a pair of Cornwall II speakers years ago. I liked the fullness of the sound, the midrange and highs were pretty darn good. The cutoff on the box was 45 Hz but you would not know it from the way the bass would rattle the room. Cabinets were beautiful , I went for the Birch rather than Oak like everyone else.

I ended up selling them when I got married, casualty number 1 of marriage. I think about gettinga pair but they are so heavy I would have to find them within driving range.

I respect classic Klipsch speakers, the HT stuff they make today is really sad.

Thread Information